1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Xp License vs. 2 Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sandy1980, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sandy1980

sandy1980 Thread Starter

I have a pc with windows 98. To back it up someone suggested adding another hard drive. If I buy windows xp for the new hard drive, can I use the same license for the second (the current 98) hard drive?

Regards

Sandy

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I do not understand your question.

When you buy software such as xp, you are buying the license to use it as well. It will work fine as a dual boot with win9x [if that is what you want]

You can also just install xp and get rid of win9x.

If that is not what you were asking, post back.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If all you want to do is backup your current Win98 to a second hard drive, you don't need to purchase or install a second operating system. Just install the hard drive into the computer you already have. Partition and Format it. Then backup whatever you want from the first drive to the second one.

4. sandy1980

sandy1980 Thread Starter

So I am okay with the windows xp license if I decide to use it on two hard drives on the same computer.

Added: And thanks (y)
    Bob Cerelli
    Distinguished Member

that is an excellent suggestion. For some reason I thought one had to use the features of xp to do the backup. I believe i was reading about usb external drives when I typed my question :rolleyes: - no sense giving Mr. Gates anymore money if I don't need to duh oh!

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes. The os will support many more than two drives. The extra drives do not need any os installed; they are used for storage of files, apps, mp3s, etc.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Is there some way this have been reworded so it might have been clearer?

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Are you creating 2 installations of Windows XP on the same system? Or are you installing XP only once but using a 2nd hard drive for data storage or backup?

8. sandy1980

sandy1980 Thread Starter

Very good question. My current hard drive with windows 98 is very erm what? corrupted by viruses, spyware... For example, when you click my computer, C: and then want to click a folder? The folders are listed by alphabetical order right? Not on mine, they are random. Each time I have to click view button then the name button.... If I want to copy something from a web page cut and paste into notepad --- nope not enough memory ??????
    Little things like this you know that add up.

So I thought I would copy outlook express files, word, excell, software zip files to a second drive and then reformat the first and reinstall the 98.

So while i am doing this I thought it might be time to upgrade (ugh is my natural feelings about upgrading I went newer version of outlook express only to find that it was in beta and it was very traumatic...). Then I heard about xp's license restrictions and here I am :)

I think the first thing I am going to do is get data etc backed up on a secong drive with 98.

9. Greybeard

Greybeard

Win98 is not as restrictive as XP when you want to add new hardware. You won't need another Win98 licence or do anything special (apart from formatting it) if you install a second hard disc.

I always prefer to backup files to an external device - USB hard disc, Zip disc or CD/DVD. Take your pick.

I would be more cautious about reformatting your original hard disc and reinstalling Win98, however. You'll lose all your software settings and IE favourites unless you also back them up carefully, and you'll have to install all your other software as well. Can you find all the installation discs? If you do decide to do it then make sure you know what you have installed and get the installation discs ready first.

You might be better off trying to get rid of the viruses and other scumware that are giving you grief. Do you use anti-virus software? Is is run regularly, e.g. weekly? Do you have a firewall installed? If you have neither then you could try ZoneAlarm Security Suite - it has both firewall and anti-virus - and I have it running on a Win98 PC without any problems. Having Spybot and AdAware SE Personal (both free) installed will also help to prevent reinfestation.

10. sandy1980

sandy1980 Thread Starter

Thanks greybeard you are correct, ugh :( believe me I don't want to do this.
    I burned 35 dollars on a credit card call to microsoft help and that was what their final answer was - reformat and restart over. Luckily I believe I have all the documentations/cds.

I was going to to try the usb hard disc route but the office max and another computer store only had external hard drives with for xp. Do you have any recommendations for a place I could trust online to look for someone that offers a windows 98 usb hard drive? As I recall there was one that would work with "special" version of 98 but don't want to mess with that. Erm, ebay?

Oh and thanks all of you! (y) :)

11. Old Rich

Old Rich

The "special" version of Win98 you read about is likely "Windows 98 Second Edition", which recognizes and uses USB . . most of the external drives come with an installation disc that works with win98SE . . with XP the driver is native and no installation is necessary.

If your system will support XP, (and your budget) you will have a much more stable system.

wrs

12. Greybeard

Greybeard

My experience with Win98SE is that USB support for a device requires its own driver to be installed. I've had this on my own Win98SE PC so make sure that any USB device you plan to install is supplied with a driver. LaCie's external USB drives, for instance, support Win98SE.

Has the time come to pension off your Win98 system? I don't know how much you are willing to spend but for about $500 you can get an adequate XP system. Look at the Dell site to give you some ideas. If your machine is more than 3 years old then a new PC may be the best solution long term.

You may also want to bear in mind that adding, say, a new printer or scanner may run into support problems. Manufacturers don't want to support Win98 any more. In a previous job, my users found that it was getting increasingly difficult to buy suitable peripherals.

If you have to keep your existing PC then I suggest you start clearing it up, perhaps starting with reinstalling Windows. Get somebody to help you if you are not technically skilled.

Whatever you do, ensure when you have finished that you have a firewall, anti-virus and anti-scumware software installed, and keep them up to date. All that is left is to scan your PC regularly and get rid of problems as you find them.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330361

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice