Windows XP license

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

1_rob_1

What is a Windows XP license? Does one really exist?:confused:
All the latest oem versions are now supplied in boxes, and in the box is a leaflet which states that the sticker for the pc is not the licence, but is to help the end user to determine whether or not the installation is genuine & not pirated.

1_rob_1

Still confused! I know about the oem op sys & hardware relationship, But still no mention of a licence. So how can anyone be classed as a licenced user?
XP retail comes with nothing but a barcode & serial no. Still no licence.(or sticker)
The only operating systems which seem to actually have a licence are Win 9x.

1_rob_1

That is an agreement, not a licence.
If a pc is resold, or given away with the op sys already installed, with the original sticker and disk, then the purchaser has not accepted this agreement. Plus there is no licence to be transferred, but Microsoft state that the op sys is married to the hardware, so the next user is still allowed to use it.
Still confused!

1_rob_1

If you agree to the eula, then microsoft grants you a licence to use the op sys??? Is it an imaginary licence?

What are you talking about?

The buyer takes on the conditions of the EULA whether they choose to read them or not.

So if I choose not to look up at the traffic light and see that it's red, I can drive through the intersection?

The operating system is "licensed", and after "agreeing" to the "conditions", you are entitled to use it within Microsoft's parameters.
You don't own it. You rent it.

What are you talking about??? I have been trying to make that point in my posts. Can't you oipen links?

That is correct! You do not BUY the O/S.....you buy the LICENSE to use the O/S!

Hawk1 said:
What are you talking about??? I have been trying to make that point in my posts. Can't you oipen links?

That is correct! You do not BUY the O/S.....you buy the LICENSE to use the O/S!
I agree with that.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online