1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP-like start menu

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by donothello, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. donothello

donothello Thread Starter

Hello all! (my 1st ever posting here)

I finally upgraded to win7 and it's pretty impressive, although some habits take time change (where is the desktop button?) so I was looking for a way to change the start menu to the XP one I am used to. It turns out I was not alone and there are several alternatives to choose from:

http://www.classicstartmenu.com - $20 (ouch!)

http://www.softwarecandy.com/shop/downloads/classic-programs-menu-for-windows-7 - $3

http://www.csmenu.com - free

http://www.sevenclassicstart.com - $25 (ouch!)

My computer is brand new and I don't want to contaminate it with all kinds of trial software that don't uninstall properly so I was hoping to get some impressions from you in case you tried any of these? Pros? Cons? of each? Why would I want to pay $25 for a menu replacement?

Thanks; Don

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If you are using the Aero Theme the Desktop button is on the bottom rightof the Notification Area to the right of the clock. It is a little Rectangle.

3. antech

antech Banned

See the screenshot Below:

[​IMG]

Click on the butoon to see the desktop

Attached Files:

4. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

I installed a "free" version, but I am not on my Ws7 computer now so I can't tell you its name. However, I cked to see if it could be removed, and I received an assurance it could. I would recommend you do the same.

What I like is the "Task Bar" is made available.

{redoak}

5. antech

antech Banned

Redoak,can you please post some of its screenshots?

6. redoak

7. antech

antech Banned

Thanks for the link,redoak.

8. redoak

Attached are two screen shots. In addition, I can tell you that the "Start Menu" appears exactly as it does in "XP."

Unfortunately, when you activate a program from the Task Bar, its representation overlays the "TB," rather than appearing on a separate, lower bar. Perhaps there is a way to create the second bar; I have not been spending time on my new, backup computer.

{redoak}

Attached Files:

9. donothello

Thanks dustyjay & antech for the desktop button help. Why on earth did Microsoft choose to hide it?

Thank redoak. I see feedback only on the free stuff (which seems to leave something to be desired). Anyone here tried the non-free products? What do I get with the paid ones that I don't get with the free ones? Why there is a huge difference in price ($25 vs. $3) ?

Thanks; Don

10. antech

antech Banned

Unfortunately,
    I dont enough money to buy even these!
    I am grateful to god even if I get 10 Cents!

11. schang626

schang626

ur 9 yrs old p3 desktop might worth 10 cents.

12. antech

antech Banned

THe PSU has given up today morning!
    It's not even worth that!

13. donothello

OK so I decided to bite the bullet and try the "classic programs menu for windows 7". It's only $3 and they have money back guarantee if I am not satisfied. What have I got to lose?

I downloaded it, saved to my downloads folder, then opened it. It installed quickly and painlessly. Then I looked at the Start Menu: It looked exactly the same as before. Where is my classic programs menu?

Well, it turns out I didn't read the description very well: It doesn't change the entire start menu. It only adds a "classic" Programs menu below Games and above Computer.

I was debating whether to "return" it but then I noticed in the description the following claim:
    Anyone knows something about this? Did you have a situation where Windows Update ruined csmenu or classicstartmenu?

Thanks; Don

14. antech

antech Banned

No ideas!

15. redoak

Smells of a scam!

Just because something costs $ doesn't mean it is worthwhile or better than a "freebee".

{redoak}

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921363

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice