1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Loading Screen - Then Restarts

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by PKSpidey, Jul 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PKSpidey

PKSpidey Thread Starter

Hello,

Tricky one this.

Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop - Was working fine, I restarted the machine then the the laptop would get to "Windows XP loading" (just before the login screen) and restart itself after the login screen.

I then disabled the harddrive after it happened a fair few times. I then booted a USB stick with ubuntu on, and it loaded but if the hard drive was connected it would show lines down the screen just a few RED GREEN BLUE ones.

So this morning I placed a Latitude D630 hard drive in the laptop. It would do the same but this time with vista.

What could the problem be?

I'm wondering possibly could it be the bios? How can I over come this. There was an error with the Windows XP when I stopped the machine from restarting but rather it turning straight off it came up with a blue screen about how i have installed new software or hard ware. The only thing was before it turned off it had some form of virus on it, which disabled the microsoft essential security.

I tried installing AVG but it didn't work as Windows Installer now wasn't working. The virus seemed to had only affected the internet when I done searches a page unrelated to the search would display.

I then tried installing avg but windows installer needed ot be instaled so I installed that it restarted itself and now this is the problem I'm facing.

Safe Mode doesn't boot, booting with last working condition doesn't either both safe mode and the boot with last known good configuration goes to windows xp and restarts.

What could the problem be? If it's the BIOS what should I do? It seems it doesn't matter what type of hard drive I put in it doesn't work.

Just to add the safemode looks as though it's about to boot once it's done everything it restarts.

Regards,

2. Rockn

Rockn

Hardware failuer more than likely. If you are getting lines up and down the screen it is probably a video adapter and/or it's memory. Try running some diagnostics as I think DELL has those in the startup options.

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

Welcome to TechSupportGuy.
    Was Vista already installed on this hard drive, from another computer, if so that is no test at all, as of course the Vista had the drivers for the other motherboard etc and could not be expected to run on this computer.

Moving to the next point in your post
    If you know this was a virus then you should go to this link and follow the advice in the link
    http://forums.techguy.org/virus-other-malware-removal/943214-everyone-must-read-before-posting.html

Post in the Malware forum and provide a link to this thread, so that all is immediately apparent to the Malware expert.
    When you then have a clean bill of health on the original XP Hard drive installation you can come back here if necessary.
    There is on the evidence available at this time little point in attempting to analyse the cause of the apparent graphics problem until we know that the installation is clean.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1007933