Windows XP locks up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RMAT

I have a Compaq laptop with windows XP about 5+ years old. Windows locked up a week ago so I had to cold stop the computer. After I restarted it, it did it again. I'm unable to remove any programs because the screen goes black and it freezes. I went to microsoft to check for up dates and it recommended an update. I can't install the update because it freezes and locks up, screen goes black so I the only option I have is to shut it down and try again. I've also noticed that if I leave it setting for a while, it normally goes into sleep mode. All I had to do was move the mouse or press any key and it would start up. But now it won't do that. It freezes up. I have to shut it down and restart it. If I can't install updates, remove/uninstall programs, what can I do?

Can you boot to safe mode? If so, open a command prompt and type chkdsk /f this will check and fix errors on your drive.

RMAT

It will not allow me to enter what you suggested. When I try chkdsk/f it won't take it. It will only accept chkdsk and then it says "warning, F mode wasn't specified" and so it will run in read only. Not sure what to do now.

chkdsk /f Note the space between chkdsk and /f you posted this chkdsk/f with no space. try again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online