1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Lockup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by [email protected], Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rserier@comc

[email protected] Thread Starter

I have been having intermittant problems with my PC running XP Home. It freeezes up at randomly in a number of programs. Some times it locks up even before the splash screen shows. Other times, it locks up when I choose a user account. It has also locked up in IE, Firefox and all the Office programs. It has locked up when I press a mouse button, when I push ENTER and other times it locks up when it is sitting unattended. It often requires me to reinsert the SIMM module to be able to reboot.

I've run MEM86 and SIMM tests on the memory with no errors. CHKDSK has found no errors. I've run SPYBOT, SPYWARE BLASTER and Adaware.

Any ideas?

thanks

2. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

How big is this SIMM module?

3. rserier@comc

4. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

OK, so how much free-space is there on the drive?

CCLeaner will clean up the drive quite a bit and remove a lot of redundant files.

Also run Disk Cleanup and remove all but the last system restore point.

5. rserier@comc

I have about 20 gig free.

I'll download CCleaner and run it as well as Disk Cleanup as you suggest.

thanks

6. Dochoi

Dochoi

:( It seem like HW problem. May I ask how long you setup this system (HW)?
    or this problem exist from the begining of your system setup.

If this happen, after you used the PC quite a while, it may more easy to find out the reason.

Otherwies, the problem could be the battery, CPU or the MB.

If you have spare parts you can take time to test one by one.

ps ( battery is most suspectious component to cause the problem ).

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Agreed about hardware, especially with the problem of it locking up even before the splash screen. Not much in Windows would even have been loaded by that point. And with 20 gigs free, it wouldn't be a space problem.

8. rserier@comc

The system is about 3 years old and the problem started about 1 year ago. I was wondering if it might be the motherboard as reinserting the SIMM usually get rid of the problem , at least for a while.

9. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

If you can afford to try adding a second RAM module and see if that clears the problem. How do you have your paging file set? I would try setting it at 2000/2000 Min and Max (custom setting) and see if that improves things.

Otherwise I would suspect overheating or a loose or damaged connection somewhere.

Which programs have you added over the last year?

10. rserier@comc

OK, I've set page file to 2000/2000.

As far as what programs I've added in the past year:
    Photoshop 7
    Medal of Honor
    Tour of Duty

thanks

11. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

That is really a temporary fix as using the paging file is slower than using RAM and will use some processing cycles too.

If the games need a lot of RAM the real cure is to add another 512Mb.

Let us know how it goes. Has it already made a difference?

With this big paging file it helps to have it cleared at shutdown. You can either use Eraser 5ยท7 to do this thoroughly or XP Antispy, or you can manually edit the registry.

This way you get a clean paging file each time you re-boot, so it's a good idea to re-boot just before starting a game.

Clearing the page file on shutdown will slow your shutdown time a little.

12. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Question?
    What's a temporary fix?
    Whether you set a fixed page file or allow Windows to handle it, is the exact same situation.
    IE: When & if required, Windows will roll ram out to/from the pagefile.

Plus, why to you believe that it's important to "clear" the file at shutdown?
    Windows doesn't care!!!

The only reason one would do it, is if they have privacy concerns about the contents.

13. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

1. Not so. A fixed paging file does not need to be dynamically re-sized and stays in one contiguous block.

2a. Corrupt data.

2b. Then you would use Eraser so as to avoid the possibility of forensic recovery of data from the page file.

14. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

1. Dynamically resizing is really a non issue these days.
    Besides, YOU indicated that a static file was a temporary fix, and I don't understand why you are saying that. Yes, there are subtle differences with static vs windows, but it's the words "temporary" adn "fix", I find strange.

2. Corrupt data? Ok, slim as that maybe.
    That's not what your post said. It said it was important with a large pagefile.

3. Yes, I agree, then you would use Eraser. But if you aren't worried about privacy, then I don't see the use.

15. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

1. Dynamic resizing will occur when there is insufficient RAM and the pagefile is not a fixed size.

2. I can't see that anywhere. I wrote that it helps.

3. Using Eraser removes recoverable data. Without the recoverable data on the drive the drive is cleaner.

Anyway, discussing paging files is not one of the most important things in life.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330405

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice