1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Xp Log On Password

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Lt dog, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lt dog

Lt dog Thread Starter

Can't access windows \ computer boots up to windows logon screen and asks me to pick name to log on as but there is no names to log on as\ when i HIT CONTOL ALT DELETE twice it bring up a log in box with my name and password but some else put password in and they can't remember it \ I tried typing in the name administrator and it tells me that ,that is not availiable for this profile. I can't even get to the windows screen to change the password in the user accounts. I think is what I'm looking for is in the DOS command line C:\>??????????????????????

PLEASE HELP

THANKS

2. mobo

mobo

Do you know the administrator password ?

3. Lt dog

Lt dog Thread Starter

no clue on password???

4. Dan O

Dan O

5. Dan O

Dan O

Usually the password is: blank or password

6. mobo

mobo

Correct, and by clicking enter you will most times get in.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If the system did have an admin password that is not blank, send me an e-mail and I'll let you know of some free 3rd party software that will allow you to reset any user's password. Not sure if it's ok to put the information in this forum. Just needed to use this today when someone forgot both their user and admin passwords. Only takes a few minutes to run and fits on a floppy.

8. Lt dog

Lt dog Thread Starter

Hello, it has a password and won't let me log on to windows without putting it in. I don't know the password and I can't access the desktop to even change it. Even when I did a recovery it wants the administrator password, what it is I don't know. I need a way around it so that I can get to the desktop and reset it.
    I can't get past the log on screen.

THANKS

9. mobo

mobo

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

In the past, posting the information for the software to reset the password was frowned upon. Has this policy changed? Otherwise I would have mentioned it far earlier.

11. mobo

mobo

Well bob it has been done many times here that I have seen and nothing ever said , if you have further questions ask an Admin ..

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Glad that's ok to do and now I can post the links directly instead of asking people to e-mail first.

That software works great and you can't beat the price.

13. Lt dog

Lt dog Thread Starter

For some reason that program only works if there is more than one user profiles to work from. There is only one profile \ one password \ one log in name. When I use that program it listed what profile to boot from,and there is only one so I'm right back where I started can't get in.

So far still need help

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I've used it with just the administrator's account, one additional user, or many users. Never had any problems.

It should give a list of all the user accounts and then prompt for which one you want to change.

You many need to manually enter in the actual location of the config directory. I think the default is \windows\system32\config. Sometimes it may be \winnt\system32\config

15. richsandy

richsandy

I had the same problelm. but I started in safe mode. and when the box came up I left the user name and the pass word blank and just hit enter. then go to control panel administrator. and change what ever I wanted to.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218112

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice