1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Log On Screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sussextraveller, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sussextraveller

sussextraveller Thread Starter

I had a problem with broadband on my computer yesterday when I tried to install a wireless adapter and I had to contact my service provider for help. They had me doing various things to the computer and eventually the problem was solved. Today though when I logged on I found that the log on screen had totally changed. Previously, the names of all the users were shown alongside small pictures and it was possible to switch users without logging off. Now, the log on screen shows Windows XP with a small box with Owner in it and a box for a password. The name of each user has to be typed in if it is not the owner who is logging on and all that you can do when you want to change the user is log off, you can't just switch to another user anymore.

I had thought of trying System Restore, but I expect this would cause me to lose the wireless adapter installation and I don't want to have to try to install it all over again after the problems that I have had.

Does anyone know if there is an easy way of switching back to the original log on screen?

2. Callum_Dawson

Callum_Dawson

There is an option in the Accounts section of Control Panel to use "Classic login" or not.

3. sussextraveller

sussextraveller Thread Starter

Thank you very much for this advice.

When I went in to User Accounts and clicked on change the way users log on and off a message came on the screen that a recently installed program had disabled the Welcome Screen and Fast User Switching. It said that the only way to restore these features was to uninstall the program. The only program that I have recently installed is the wireless adapter, which I can't uninstall, so unfortunately it seems that there is in fact nothing that I can do after all.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919171

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice