1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows xp loggin

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LoveTrinity, Apr 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LoveTrinity

LoveTrinity Thread Starter

When I log on to my windows xp it takes forever for my settings to load. Any reason that could be. And is there anything I can do about it?

2. rude

rude

Just a thought,but have you thought about disabling startup items that you don't need to start on bootup.Having too much stuff in there can slow your system down dramatically.The only things I allow to start on bootup on my machine are my anti virus and firewall.

Also go here:http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    and check out the service configurations,there are a lot of services that you can disable to help your system run better and faster

3. LoveTrinity

Thanks so much! I have done that in the past but some im not sure if Its okay to uncheck them. And also what do you need a firewall for. Don't the pc automatically have one?

4. Miz

Miz

Just use the settings in Black Viper's chart in the "Safe" column. That means you'll be turning off quite a few of XP's services which are turned on by default but which most users never need. I've used the settings in the Safe column on a lot of XP systems and never had a problem. Some of those services you'll be turning off are not only unnecessary but also compromise security.

XP has a built-in firewall but it's not enabled by default and it's not really very good. It will block anything coming in...except stuff from Microsoft...but it doesn't care about anything trying to get out. Knowing when something is trying to connect to the net is handy because that's often the only alert you'll get that a trojan/virus/spyware is infesting your computer.

I used to use and recommend Zone Alarm but I've had problems with it on XP computers so I now use and recommend Sygate Personal Firewall. Both are free and both are highly rated in all the reviews. There are other free firewalls out there but I haven't used them so I can't recommend them. Although quite a few people seem to believe that if they're free, they can't be as good as the ones you have to pay for but that's not true. The free ones are actually rated higher than most of the ones you have to pay for.

5. LoveTrinity

Im really scared to mess with this stuff :(

6. rude

rude

We can take it one thing at a time if you like.Most of what you have been told to do is easy and will help your system run faster and smoother.
    Number 1,and nowadays this is an ABSOLUTE PRIORITY,get a firewall!!! I use ZoneAlarm and can not recommend it highly enough.You can get a free version here:
    http://www.uant.net/firewall/zonealarmguide.html
    Download the free version and I will help you get it set up.
    Another free program I highly recommend is AVG Anti-Virus (As far as I am concerned another ABSOLUTE neccessity,you can get a copy here:
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php
    These 2 programs work incredibly well together

Ok,now you have your homework,download these 2 programs. Be careful with ZoneAlarm,the wrong setting can kill your Internet connection.
    I will help you set it up,but once you activate it,it will start asking you what you want to do and until we get set up,click yes to everything.

When you have done this you can post here again or email me directly.

The most IMPORTANT piece of information in this post is this:

Do NOT be "scared to mess with this stuff "

Just remember one thing...
    no matter where you go...
    there you are...
    And there's always a way out!!!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218734

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice