1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows xp logging in trouble

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tekken05, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tekken05

tekken05 Thread Starter

i start my computer up and it goes to the login screen. the way i have my computer set up is i doesnt need a password. well i goes to the log in screen and when i click the user ( the only 1 ) it shows the background for a second and says the user is logging off, then goes right back to the user select screen. what happened a few mins b4 this was my sister hit a few keys on the keyboard and restarted the computer. i believe she is the "User" button on the keyboard. any clues to what i can do.

What i have already done.
    1 tried logging into safe mode. ( does the samething )
    returning windows to last know good config.

thats about it. pleasse reply with an answer asap!

2. Dan O

Dan O

3. tekken05

tekken05 Thread Starter

it did goto the 2000 log in screen but it does the same thing

4. Dan O

Dan O

5. tekken05

tekken05 Thread Starter

please reread my original post.

it does that even when i try to log into safe mode.

those are good ideas but i cant log on at all. please if you can speed up this process at all please do so. i really need to get my computer up and running

6. bobol

bobol

Many threads yesterday/today relating to this problem-
    have a look at post 3 and 4 in this link...A trip to the bootdisk.com for a bootdisk may be in order. I wonder if a moderator here can say if this is the best shot... all my searching here has only found this as a solution to the looping log-in problem.
    http://forums.techguy.org/t84244&highlight=xp+log.html

7. tekken05

tekken05 Thread Starter

i dont know if it will work or if it will change anything on my system. exactly what does a boot disk do? i saw here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=55820EDB-5039-4955-BCB7-4FED408EA73F

it says:
    The Windows XP startup disk allows computers without a bootable CD-ROM to perform a new installation of the operating system. The Windows XP startup disk will automatically load the correct drivers to gain access to the CD-ROM drive and start a new installation of Setup.

does that mean i have to reinstall windows?
    i know this is a dumb question, but i dont know. from that it looks like i have to reinstall the os and i dont wanna do that.

grr i hate this. thats why i wanna become a computer engineer so i can fix problems like this

8. bobol

bobol

its a good question, I see this looping login problemo here alot,and like I mentioned before it seems to be a stumper... Hopefully someone can answer this one with clarity.

9. Heavenfox

Heavenfox

I've had the same problem last week, I reformatted and now I have no sound

10. tekken05

tekken05 Thread Starter

i dont wana lose anything on my pc. i am thinking about doing a windows repair. it might work, and i wont lose anything on my pc, although i will have to reinstall the vid drivers, cuz i did return to last know good config and that messes up the vid drivers :( i will tell you guys tomorrow if the windows repair works.

11. bobol

bobol

good luck...hopefully whatever u do may help others...let us know:)

12. tekken05

tekken05 Thread Starter

tried windows repair, and i dont exactly know how it would fix it. but i tried anyways. it didnt work. please some1 who has an answer please reply to this post asap!!! i really really dont wana do a clean reinstall!!! i have to go ill check later

13. firedragon63

firedragon63

I have the same exact problem it goes to the login screemn then it shos my backround for a second then it sais im logging off then goes back to the login screen. please help.........

14. tekken05

tekken05 Thread Starter

man im starting to think this is a virus. one that starts b4 everything and logs you out of windows. am i correct? and how can i stop it? i have a ? firedragon63 do you have norton anti virus? i dont think it has anything to do with it, but i am just comparing comps here. it sounds like it could be a virus, and is it possible to boot from the norton cd and scan the hard drive w/o logging in? like scan C:/ for viruses?

15. firedragon63

firedragon63

i have norton and the funny thing is that the problem started happening right after i finished a scan. i dont think theres a way to scan for viruses without logging on

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273235

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice