Windows XP Login Problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

quantass

Once Windows XP gets passed the Welcome screen I receive the following error message:
The system could not log you in. Make sure your user name and domain are correct, then type your password again. Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case.

Actually this error message isn't seen until i hit the ALT+TAB key to select the other application. In the background can be seen the login/password window which is has nothing filled in its fields. On clicking OK to the error message I'm taken to the ususal User Accounts display where i can click my name to log into Windows.

I've tried "control userpasswords2" -- I've unchecked it to select my user name then unchecked it to allow for autologin. This has actually resolved the issue for one or two restarts but the error message returns.

The Winlogon registry settings for AdminAutoLogin = 1, DefaultUserName=MAME and there is no DefaultPassword as I've left this blank (i have none). I've made the attempt at settings a real password but this hasn't resolved the problem.

Any permanent solutions? I'm using Windows XP Pro (SP2).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online