Windows xp media center edition-

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rproc32522

I have windows xp media center edition, service pack 3. The other day, computer gave error message windows\systems32\config\andsystem. Since I can't use my computer at all (has a black screen) I got instructions from ehow on how to recover. I inserted systems recovery disk, followed the prompts, but realized that I needed the windows xp set up disk. Microsoft no longer has the disk but one can download it. I can't download it because I have a black screen. Any suggestions on how I can download it or get a disk?

jrbuergel

Jim
That error you get is a corrupt system registry, see this link; http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545 You can either try to borrow a real XP CD, or use some other computer to download just the Recovery Console iso file, which you then burn an image of this iso to a CD so you can boot to it, and repair or restore the registry. And here is one more link from Microsoft for help; http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307654 , and here is a link to this download http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

Though the Recovery Console sometimes works for restoring the registry, far too many people encounter permissions issues and are unable to complete the process.

You will have better luck (and a nice desktop to work from), if you use a boot CD and recover your earlier regisry files from a restoe point. If you have another PC with XP on it, you can make the UBCD4Win and boot your machine with that.

Or, you can do it with this ready-made CD (or USB key):

Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image)
If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Follow these directions to rename and copy the registry hives:

How to Restore the Registry Hives From a System Restore Snapshot in Windows XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts