1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Media Center Issues....help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fibfolife, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fibfolife

fibfolife Thread Starter

ok, so i have tried numerous methods to fix this, but to no avail......

no matter what kind of cd i put into my drive (blank,music,dvd,data,etc...) they all
    autoplay/autostart/autoopen media center.......i can't stop media center from opening!
    it is the biggest hassle/inconvenience ever!

so, i have tried the following:

- tweakUI and disabled autoplay on the drive completely
    - tweakUI and set no action for the drive
    - set MediaPlayer as the default application to open
    - gone to the drive , right clicked, and made sure that "take no action" was selected for all media types

nothing can stop media center from opening! why!!!!

please help a newb......

2. Iceworx

Iceworx

Try manually disabling cd autoplay ?

Start > run > Type "gpedit.msc" without the quotes and press Enter > Open Administrative Templates > Open the System sub-menu
    > Open "Turn Autoplay Off"

It should be set as not configured. Just go ahead and turn it on by setting it to enable. I would reboot after.

Then.

1. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
    2. Double-click the CDROM branch on the Device Manager tab, and then double-click the entry for your CD-ROM drive.
    3. On the Settings tab, click to clear the Auto Insert Notification check box.
    4. Click OK, click Close, and then click Yes when you are prompted to restart your computer.

3. fibfolife

fibfolife Thread Starter

please oh please.....i have tried the above, as well as other things.....to no avail.....

does anyone know anything about xp MCE ?

help........

-from a dying unoptimized os user.....

4. gomerp

gomerp

Hi-Just wondered if you have resolved your issue?? I had a similar issue of when you put a cd in the drive it would crash and re-boot.Appears to have something to do with the Media Center screen that comes up (blue color screen that says "checking for media information") or something like that and then the next screen that askes what you want the cd to do --play, rip, burn, etc. Working with HP tech support was not fun either, they dont know much if you want my opinion. Anyway I had to do a full re-install of XP. Now it works fine, however I have not opened up the Media Center part yet, I am afraid that once I do that it will bring up that blue Media Center checking info screen again and will have another conflict with the regular windows screen that askes what you would like to do with the cd. I also do not want that Media Center screen to come up, only the regular windows screen. Did you ever figure out how to remove that Media Center Information screen?? Thanks Gomer Pile

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536792

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice