Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows XP networking delay on startup

610 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  berrymedic20 
#1 ·
I've done a bit of searching, but haven't found the solution to this problem yet...

I recently put a new harddrive into my laptop (an off-brand machine), and put a clean install of Windows XP on the new harddrive, and did all of the MS updates so I'm up to SP3. All the newest/greatest drivers for all my components.

The computer runs fantastically in every respect except one - on startup, despite a rapid boot up process and Windows loading zippily, the networking takes (relatively) FOREVER to startup. I'll have access to the entire machine within 20 seconds or so, but can't get into networking or the internet for a good 1.5 minutes after that. This is purely an annoyance issue since networking works fine after that, but I'd still like to fix it because sometimes I need internet access quickly.

A few notes:

- the problem does not occur when bringing the computer back from standby
- I've tried disabling background intelligence (set it to manual), but no fix
- I've tried disabling Prefetch, but no fix
- I'm not running any anti-virus or anti-spyware software in the background
- the status tray networking icons do not show up either until networking becomes active, however the Intel Proset Wireless icon does show up (And stays red) - but is inaccessible until windows networking comes online
- problem is both LAN and wireless

I'd really appreciate any tips!

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.