Windows XP - Nonexistent drive listed in XP and two letters assigned to same partitio

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

unwsp

I recently installed software that allowed Windows XP to access linux partitions (EXT2) on an external drive (assigned them to P: and V: ). Once I had copied out the files I wanted from those partitions, I uninstalled the software and reformatted the drive to NTFS (assigned to Q: ). The software I used was Ext2 IFS (www.fs-driver.org).

Disk Management shows that drive as only having one partition (74GB, Q: ). However, the other drive letters are still listed in My Computer (and any Explorer dialog). When I try to open V:, it gives a long dialog that starts "V: refers to a location that is unavailable." I would be okay with leaving that one. The REAL problem, in my mind, is P:, which opens the same file system as Q:. I've never had two letters pointing to the same drive before, but I can't imagine it's a very good idea.

Any suggestions on how to remove these drives from Explorer? I am comfortable navigating the registry, if that's what it takes (as long as you're comfortable telling me correctly what needs to be removed/altered in the registry).

Things I have tried:

1) Looked in Disk Management -- not listed.
2) Looked in Device Manager -- not listed as volumes for the disk.
3) Tried assigning those same drive letters to another drive -- those letters remain unavailable from the drop-down menu in Disk Management.

Thanks!

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Try changing Q to P in Disk Management.
You said this is an external drive, what happens when you dis-connect it and reboot ?
I have seen that 'X: refers to a location that is unavailable' message myself when some partitions got messed up, I think I had to delete all the partitions and create new ones to fix it.

unwsp

Disk management doesn't let me assign P or V to _anything_... they just aren't available in the drop-down list. However, they are also not listed as being assigned to anything. So, I cannot assign them or delete them.

Reconnecting doesn't work either. The problem doesn't seem to be the partitions themselves, or anything in Disk Management. It seems to be strictly that Explorer thinks these drive letters refer to something that doesn't actually exist. Even when _NO_ drive is connected, P and V are listed in Explorer -- but they have a little exclamation point next to the icon and don't function. Once I connect the drive, Q: appears (and works), and P: becomes functional -- V continues to have the exclamation point and be non-functional.

Any other ideas?

I have never used Ext2 IFS. You say that you formatted the drive, but did you delete all partitions first?

What is the size of the drive?

If drive letters are assigned, Diskpart should show the partitions, although they will be listed as unknown or something.

Go to Start, Run, and type diskpart OK
Press Enter after typing each command.
Type, list disk
Find the number for the drive, and type, select disk n
(n is the number)
Now type, detail disk
See how many partitions are listed.
Exit diskpart.

moper

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online