1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP not activating

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Kapustin Yar, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kapustin Yar

Kapustin Yar Thread Starter

Hi People

I recently installed a new motherboard and I had to perform a repair install of Windows XP. Now I have to re-activate Windows. I am reminded of this every time I Reboot. However when I click Activate Windows my pc stops at the desktop wallpaper before the icons and taskbar show up. And it stays there and stays there forever until I reboot again.

If I click NO to 'do I want to activate Windows' and click the Windows Star at the bottom right of my taskbar I am directed to a webpage that tells me my copy of windows is not genuine.

I got my copy of Windows directly from Microsoft. I know for a fact it is genuine. So how can I fix this?

When I perform the operation below I don't have an 'activate windows' button on my copy of windows xp. Its not in accessories or anywhere.

1. Click Start.
    2. Point to All Programs.
    3. Click Activate Windows.

2. Megabite

Megabite

Sometimes you need to do a fresh install of Windows when replacing the MB.

I would give Microsoft a call and see if they can help........it might be that the CD came with that PC and was tied to that MB only.

3. Kapustin Yar

Kapustin Yar Thread Starter

Do you know of a number I can call?

4. Megabite

Megabite

5. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    when a motherboard is replaced its considered a major hardware change and microsoft thinks its being installed on a brand new different computer and doesnt realize its the same computer that was previously activated with no problems.call microsoft and explain what happened and they should give u a new key to use.hope this helps u.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972976

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice