Windows XP not booting

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kl2

My daughters Advent 4213 Netbook is not loading Windows Xp. I have tried using the recovery USB stick but it still does not work.

The message is
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem :

1) Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer
2) Choose your language settings, and then click "Next".
3) Click repair your computer

If you do not have thius disc, contact your systems administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

Status 0xc000000f

Info: Windows failed to load because the NLS data is missing, or corrupt.

------------------------------------------------------------------

There has been no hardware updates whatsover recently. I updated the antiv virus on Friday but it seemed to work fine for at least a day after that.

Windows Xp was preinstalled and I had to create a recovery USB when I got the netbook. As I say I tried to use this, but it is not finding the recovery USB. I have even updated the set up do it boots to the USB device first.

Do you have any idea how to fix this?

Thanks in anticipation......

You have to change your bios settings to boot from USB if you stated you have already it's clearly trying to boot from cd/disc. Try adjusting Bios settings again: Step 1
Plug a Flash drive into a USB port on your computer/laptop

Step 2:
Turn on your laptop then hit F2 rapidly (or Del for some other machine)
then go to Boot tab > change boot order > then hit F10 key to Save and Exit

Now you can boot from USB Flash drive, first select
1st, text mode setup (Boot from flash again after finished)
then... on the first restart, select
2nd, GUI mode setup, continue setup + 1st start of Windows
Install Windows XP as usual...

kl2

You have to change your bios settings to boot from USB if you stated you have already it's clearly trying to boot from cd/disc. Try adjusting Bios settings again: Step 1
Plug a Flash drive into a USB port on your computer/laptop

Step 2:
Turn on your laptop then hit F2 rapidly (or Del for some other machine)
then go to Boot tab > change boot order > then hit F10 key to Save and Exit

Now you can boot from USB Flash drive, first select
1st, text mode setup (Boot from flash again after finished)
then... on the first restart, select
2nd, GUI mode setup, continue setup + 1st start of Windows
Install Windows XP as usual...

I have already changed set up to try and boot from the recovery USB, but it is not working. It is not booting from the recovery USB.

You're getting this error: Status 0xc000000f
Windows failed to load because the NLS data is missing, or corrupt.

Try this: If you have access to another XP machine, use a USB stick and copy the NLS files from that PC and install to the one you cannot boot.

kl2

You're getting this error: Status 0xc000000f
Windows failed to load because the NLS data is missing, or corrupt.

Try this: If you have access to another XP machine, use a USB stick and copy the NLS files from that PC and install to the one you cannot boot.

thank you this sounds like it may stand a chance... but how do i transfer files when i cannot even get into windows? also i run two other pc's but both are windows 7 so i do not have access to xp anyway :-(

kl2

Have you considered a full restore of factory settings? Or copying a full version of windows xp onto USB and attempting a fresh install. The recovery USB you have are missing needed files...

Check this out: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-the-nls/d4d39c22-62dd-4eec-a3fe-aeeb56d0f10b

Thank you this sounds exactly my problem, but my Windows XP recovery disk is my USB and that is not booting. Is there anywhere I can test that the recovery USB I have has all files needed, without buying another copy of Windows XP?

Doing a complete restore is an option as there is little data on the hard drive, but still I cannot get the device to boot up....

It's not booting up because the usb drive is either missing vital files or they are corrupt. If you have a friend with windows XP you can always ask to copy files from their disc.

kl2

It's not booting up because the usb drive is either missing vital files or they are corrupt. If you have a friend with windows XP you can always ask to copy files from their disc.

OK I understand.... I remember that my old desktop PC had Windows XP.... I am hoping I can use the recovery disk for that.

Will advise if this works.

You should'nt need a usb recovery

1. When the PC starts you will see a menu for two seconds. Press the UP or DOWN arrow and this will pause the menu and allow you to choose an option.
  2. Highlight The TechGuys Recovery and press the Enter key.
  3. This will load into the recovery program.
  4. Select Reinstall Windows by clicking on the circle to the left.
  5. Click the right arrow.
  6. Put a tick in the box next to Start Full Destructive Recovery.
  7. Click the right arrow to start Recovery.
  8. When Recovery has completed, click the right arrow to restart the system.
  9. Your computer will then return you to its initial out-of-box experience.

kl2

OK I understand.... I remember that my old desktop PC had Windows XP.... I am hoping I can use the recovery disk for that.

Will advise if this works.
OK... tried loading with my old PC recovery disk and it didnt work.

I have noticed that it tries to recovery in the partition but ends after a while. It seems to load the file drivers/disk.sys then stops. I am wondering if there is a problem with the hard drive.

I am wondering how I can test if the hard drive is OK? if not I am wondering about buying a new version of Windows 7 and trying to install.

Wish I could just get back to factory defaults...

kl2

You should'nt need a usb recovery

1. When the PC starts you will see a menu for two seconds. Press the UP or DOWN arrow and this will pause the menu and allow you to choose an option.
  2. Highlight The TechGuys Recovery and press the Enter key.
  3. This will load into the recovery program.
  4. Select Reinstall Windows by clicking on the circle to the left.
  5. Click the right arrow.
  6. Put a tick in the box next to Start Full Destructive Recovery.
  7. Click the right arrow to start Recovery.
  8. When Recovery has completed, click the right arrow to restart the system.
  9. Your computer will then return you to its initial out-of-box experience.
This is what happens...

I do 1 and 2.... it then starts 3.... it seems to be trying to boot up then goes back to the message I showed on my original post. it never gets as far as point 4 to re-install windows.

Does this sound like hard drive failure?

It's possible that the recovery disk is the problem (missing important files.) Re-installing a fresh new copy from boot will be my next step if it were me.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online