Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows XP not connecting using USB Wifi

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  etaf 
#1 ·
Hi everyone

Newbie so please be gentle :) I hope this is in the correct forum, please advise if not.

I am running Windows XP SP2 on a Packard Bell DC5100 MiniTower and have recently purchased a USB Wifi Dongle to use with my Sky Broadband router (which is located in another room unfortunately).

When I plug the USB Device in, the icon in the system tray (bottom right hand corner of the screen) says that I am connected and have an excellent connection (as it would look on a laptop for instance when connected). However, when I then try and launch internet explorer I get the usual "this page cannot be found" screen and no amount of troubleshooting seems to work.

Over the years I have had several modems/devices installed and I fear I may have wiped some or all of the internet settngs when removing these previously. The device works, I think its just that my PC (or indeed I) cannot work out how to find/use it to connect to the internet.

I apologise for the slightly sketchy details but I am doing this at work and from memory. Is there a way I can reinstall all my windows modem drivers for example (or get to a default state) without doing a system wipe? Or would it just be a case of having to find some specific drivers?

The issue seems to be a generic one (i.e. not related to the brand of USB device) hence why I haven't included details. However, if anyone could shed any light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm reasonably confident doing stuff to my PC just as long as I know what I have to do if that makes sense :)

Thanks in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
I will move to networking forum, you should get more help there
The issue seems to be a generic one (i.e. not related to the brand of USB device) hence why I haven't included details. However, if anyone could shed any light on this it would be greatly appreciated.
why do you say this

It maybe a firewall blocking - or wireless security issue but lets start here
would you do the following

------------------------------------------------------------------------
{ipconfig /all}
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results here
-> Start
-> (XP - enter the following in the RUN box)
cmd /k ipconfig /all
-> (Vista or Windows 7 - enter the following in the Search box)
cmd /k ipconfig /all

A black box will appear on the screen -
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy

then reply here and
control key + V to paste
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
{Ping Tests}

Start> Run {search bar in Vista}> CMD to open a DOS window and type:

Type the following command
Ping google.com
Post back the results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Ping {plus the number thats shown against the default gateway shown in above ipconfig /all}
Post back the results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Ping 209.191.93.53
post back results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

{Device Manager}
Post back the results in device manager
Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
windows 7
start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager

network adaptors, click on the + > post back the devices listed there
are there any ! ? or X

post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here
Download and install
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
Then run the program
if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.