1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP not recognizing all the RAM I installed?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Super_Saiyan, Sep 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Super_Saiyan

Super_Saiyan Thread Starter

Well I have a intel core duo 2.6ghz with a gigabyte g31m-es2l board that does support 4gigs of ram. I had 2 gigs of ddr2 pc-5300 ram installed and decided to upgrade to some pc-6400 ram and I stalled 4 gigs and under control panel system performance it went from listing 2 gigs to only 3 gigs but when I open pc wizard which tells you everything its telling me I have 4096 of ram installed, 2048 installed on both slots. Any reason windows is tell me i only have 3 gigs of ram? Thanks!

2. shoutwity

shoutwity

so wait the computer can only hold 4 gigs and you had four gigs before. Then you added 4 more gig giving it 6 gigs??? got to newegg.com type in (sry for big typeing.)
    GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Then go below the sign saying there are no results, click first link and then details link. Im also not sure what kinda video card you have but my card taks a large sum of the ram to its self. What you see control panel is probably only the amount of ram you can use.

3. Super_Saiyan

No I listed I had 2 gigs (1g x 1g) of pc-5300 ram and I upgraded to 4 gigs (2g x 2g) of pc-6400 ram. Windows control panel under system performance always said 2 gigs before which was dead on but now it only says 3 after the upgrade but pc wizard 2010 tells me i have the full 4 gigs.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

If your OS is 32-bit, you will only see 3GB... you need to up to 64-bit

5. Super_Saiyan

Yup I did the winmsd.exe in the run box to see my system information and the x86 tells me i am running 32 bit but even under that it says I have 4096 of ram!

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

Then you need to go to windows 64-bit OS to use the full 4GB, but that means you need to get a 64-bit processor

7. Super_Saiyan

So even under winmsd.exe system information and pc wizard can tell i have 4 gigs I can only use 3 gigs cause I have 32 bit xp? That sucks, if anything I should upgrade to windows 7 then

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A 32bit os uses a total of 4gig of ram, no more. This includes ALL ram ie video card, any ram onboard the mb, raid controller, etc, etc.

It is very common to install 4gig of ram and have 3~3.5 as useable.

9. Super_Saiyan

Awesome thank you. I'm not hurting anything by leaving in the 4 gigs right? I know only 3 are being used but I read to only install no more then 3 gigs but I always thought the rule is only install matching pairs like 1 and 1 and 2 and 2 never install like 2 gigs in one slot and 1 gig in the second slot.

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

It won't hurt, just won't report in windows. If you do decide to go further (more than 4GB) in the future you will need go 64-bit

11. Super_Saiyan

Thanks, anyone know where I can get a cheap 64 bit windows xp let me know! I briefly looked its still around 100 or more, 7 is like 200 hmmmm

12. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Windows XP x64 is best avoid, compatibility and support for it are lacking. If you want a 64 bit O/S then you should get Windows 7 64-bit.

13. Super_Saiyan

Thanks I just was, just started school full time and bought books I dont have 200 right now for the OS but will be looking into soon thanks!

14. raybro

raybro

Be sure your computer is compatible with Win7, click here to find out. Also check to see if you have 64-bit drivers for all your peripherals. That can be a real problem. You may also have some favorite program applications which may not be compatible with Win7 and/or 64-bit OS's.

Check all that out up front before making a commitment to Win7. Its a very different world from XP 32-bit, both hardware and software.

15. Super_Saiyan

Not sure to make this a seperate thread whats the best way to tell if I can run windows 7 64-bit? I dont see why I couldnt, my mainboard is compatible with 7

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1017709