Windows xp not recognizing device

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dbjjjt5

Hope someone can help. I have posted before on this subject, but did not include all steps I have taken.

Have an HP pavilion laptop running Windows XP sp2. My computer crashed a few months ago and I had to reinstall OS per HP tech support (I used the disk that came with the computer). Since then, I have been having some problems. First, tough pad is erratic; cursor jumps around while typing. I am trying to install a new Deskjet printer. I have gone through all the required steps; i.e., load software first, then plug cable in the usb port.

Here is the problem. While installing software for printer, I get to the point where it prompts me to connect my usb cable. When I do, I get a message that Windows has malfunctioned and it does not recognize my device. I know I have USB 2.0. My cable is brand new and works fine with the printer on an old computer. I cannot get it to work on my laptop. I am able to connect a scanner and it automatically detects it through usb and also my camcorder is also automatically recognized.

Could something be missing since I had to reinstall my OS? I have tried calling HP to get help. I have tried going into bios at startup and I do not see anything in there about USB; I have upgraded BIOS through HP website.

Would really appreciate some much needed help. So far the above are my main issues. There may be more that I don't even know about.

Thanks!

Prior to the crash did the computer work properly?
What caused the crash, virus, malware, etc?
What utilities are you running for spyware/adware, and what antivirus program are you running?
Did HP have you perform a repair install or reformat and reinstall Windows?
Did the current problem start immediately after the reinstall?

dbjjjt5

Prior to crash everything worked fine. Don't know about the printer situation through the USB because I was using an LPT port. I don't know what caused the crash. One day (suprisingly after my one year warranty was up) I tried to start my system and it would not load my OS, just hung at the screen where you could start in safe mode, last known good configuration - anytime I would try one of the options it would just take me back to the same screen. I have McAfee through AOL along with their spyware program. HP did not walk me through the install - i.e., repair - they just had me put in my OS CD that came with the computer and it just did it's own install. Current problem started immediately after install.

Thanks

Lol, HP planned it great huh, computer fouled up one day after the warranty expired, J/K

It sounds like you file system is pretty well fouled up. What I would suggest is this;

Save all of your personal files to removable media, eg. CD's, DVD's, External Hard Drive, etc. Make sure that on the bottom of the computer there is a sticker with registration key.
Write the key down for easy access in case you need it.

Go to www.majorgeeks.com and download and install EVEREST (if you know your hard drive manufacturer you don't need to install EVEREST). Go to your drive manufacturers website and download their low level format utility, it may be referred to as a zero fill utility. Read the drive manufacturers instructions for low level formatting your hard drive. INSTALL the utility on a CD-R. Before you run the utility access your BIOS and make sure that the boot sequence is set so that the computer will boot from the CD before it tries to boot from the hard drive (eg. have your CD drive as the 1st boot device).

Insert the CD you made and reboot the computer. Normally there will be a couple of questions you answer regarding partioning, etc. nothing terribly complicated. Do a complete wipe of the drive, eg. "Write zeros to all sectors".

After you "wipe" the drive remove the CD, insert your recovery disk and reboot the computer. Windows should find the disk as "New-Unformatted". The recovery CD should format the disk and reinstall Windows in a clean environment.

After Windows is reinstalled in a clean environment check the computer for proper operation before going online. If the computer is NOT operating properly you probably have a hardware problem and you can stop at that point. If everything seems OK, prior to going online disable Windows Messenger. To disable Windows Messenger go to Control Panel> Administrative Tools>Services. In Services scroll down to Messenger, left click on Messenger to highlite it, then right click and click on Properties, in "Start up Type" select Disabled, Click APPLY then Click OK. If everything seems to be OK then load the antivirus and AD-AWARE before you go to Windows Updates.

I am not a McAfee fan. I would recommend Norton Antivirus but if you don't want to buy an ativirus utility you can download AVG antivirus free from http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

There are a number of free spyware programs that you can download free that are much better than what AOL offers (and I speak with experience because I have had AOL for 8 years). You can download the Microsoft Antispyware at http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx
NOTE: You will have to do your WPA (Windows Product Activation) and Product Validation before you can download Microsoft Spyware.

You can go back to www.majorgeeks.com and download and install AD-AWARE SE PERSONAL.

After you download the Antivirus, and AD-AWARE launch each application and check for updates. After your antivirus and Spyware utilities are updated, go to Windows Updates and download and install your updates.

If you have no hardware problems after you do this procedure you should have a nice, clean installation that will work. :)

dbjjjt5

Thanks for your reply. I will try your suggestions in your post. One thing I forgot to mention is that just prior to my system crashing, I sent my laptop to HP for repair under warranty. Every time I would turn the computer on, it would try to boot and automatically turn off. HP said it had to do with my battery (even though I had my AC adapter plugged in; can't figure that one out). HP replaced my battery (so they say). Then boom, system crash. Couldn't understand why my battery would have anything to do with it since since I was running off of AC at time of boot. Who knows what happened between here and there; guess I have to assume responsibility.

I hope things go well, only had this computer for 16 months.

Thanks again. I will let you know how this works out.

What i said may not be applicable in your case. You said; "My computer crashed a few months ago and I had to reinstall OS per HP tech support (I used the disk that came with the computer). Since then, I have been having some problems."

If I read your latest post correctly the 1st event was that you would turn the computer ON, it would try to boot and automatically shutoff. The 2nd event was that you sent the computer to HP and they replaced the battery. The 3rd event was the system crashed after HP replaced the battery. The 4th event was after the crash HP had you reinstall the operating system and now you have multiple problems, eg. touch pad erractic, cursor jumps around while you're typing and now Windows doesn't recognize a device.

This problem MAY BE mechanical in nature since the crash occurred after HP replaced the battery. After reinstalling the operating system per HP support, additional problems arose.

If you zero fill and reinstall the operating system this will bring the computer back to original configuration and it doesn't fix the problem then this will verify that the problem is mechanical in nature. If this is the case even though the machine is out of warranty I would pound on HP that the repair performed while the computer was in warranty and their advice to reinstall the operating system was not correct and caused subsequent problems.

To me the key here is WHY did the system crash after the battery was replaced and WHY did the additional problems arise after the operating system reinstallation per HP support? ?

dbjjjt5

I still have the documentation that came back with the computer after HP repair. I assume HP would have documented our conversation about reinstalling OS. I will try the zero fill and hopefully this will solve the problem. Again, I appreciate your help.

dbjjjt5

I did find my hard drive manufacturer. I have a Fijitsu MHT 2060 AT PL listed under device manager. I went to Fijitsu web and found an erase utility. It says that it will erase my Master Boot, Partition Table, and FAT. If I use this utility, will I still be able to reboot from CD. Don't want to mess everything up. Or would the Everest be better. If Everest is better to use, I found the Free Home version on the Geek web site. Is that what I need?

dbjjjt5

Sorry - the model number under device manager is FUJITSU not FIJITSU (are these the same).

dbjjjt5

Hope you are still reading these. Called HP today just for kicks. Went through the whole situation; i.e, battery replacement, system crash, and now the problems, gentleman told me that HP cannot do anything about the past and my computer is out of warranty and I could pay $119 for hardware/tech support. I told him that the situations happened before my warranty ran out. He basicall said I am SOL and my only option is to pay for service. I was reading on the HP website that with my version of XP which is NTFS I can use a recovery console. How is that different from doing a low level erase?

Thanks again

Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner but my ISP is putting in all new Cat5E cables and I've had a problem getting online.

To answer some questions, EVEREST won't help you with reformatting it just gives you information about your system.

Here are two links to Microsoft regarding the recovery console. One link explains its operation and the other explains how to use it. Microsoft can certainly explain it better than I can.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058/EN-US/

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654

I'll read what Fujitsu says about their "eraser" but from your description it seems it does basically the same thing that reformatting with the installation disk does, but I want to read what they say.

Also, can you give me the model of your laptop. I have a neighbor (a young college student) who I believe has an HP laptop a little over a year old. About 2 months ago she told me that she had already replaced at least 2 motherboards and 2 hard drives in that unit. Unfortunately she is out of town for the holidays and I can't verify with her the make and model.

From what you told me in posts #1 and #5 I believe possibly we are encountering a hardware problem rather than a software problem. Listen carfully and see if you can hear any "clicking" or "grinding" noise coming from the hard drive.

Since the machine I suppose is "useable" I would "hold off" on zero filling until I get a chance to look at the Fujitsu website.

I don't want to give you any misinformation but I would like to verify a couple of items before you proceed.

You said in post #8; "It says that it will erase my Master Boot, Partition Table, and FAT".

Was the utility you located at Fujitsu named fjerase.zip (31KB) ? ? ? ?

dbjjjt5

Yes that is the zip file on Fujitsu's web that I referred to. My model number is ZV5240US. My one post where I mentioned that my system wouldn't boot and would keep going back to the safe mode, last known good config. screen, my son's computer (HP) did this same thing and I had to reinstall his OS. Did HP put something in that would not let you access your OS after your warranty? Seems strange that this would happen on two separate HP laptop computers. Unfortunately I cannot start my son's computer now because the pin where you plug the AC adapter in has broke off. Heard that could be very expensive to fix and unfortunately he has no docking station hookup and his USB's are 1.0.

OK, the zip file you found is a zero fill utility.

Fujitsu's website leaves a lot to be desired. Apparently they previously had a utility called DiskGo that they no longer provide.

http://faq.us.fujitsu.com/all/std_adp.php?p_faqid=37

Now they recommend a program called DATA ERASER

http://www.ontrack.com/dataeraser/

Do you have a USB floppy drive and does your motherboard support booting from the USB floppy? Here is an article that explains what you are looking for;

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1676

If the motherboard does not support booting from a USB device then we can go to another program that is packed as an ISO image and make a bootable CD with a zero fill utility.

Zero filling is Zero filling no matter who made the program. Some drive manufacturers such as MAXTOR, WESTERN DIGITAL and SEAGATE just include additional drive diagnostics but as previously stated a zero fill is a zero fill.

I probably would go ahead and zero fill and reinstall Windows. A zero fill is not going to damage a drive that is not already damaged. In the last 5 years I have zero filled about 200 drives and only had a problem with one. With that one I knew it was damaged before I started and we already had a replacement drive but I wanted to see what would happen zero filling a known damaged drive. The damaged drive was 40 gigs I let the utility run for about 20 minutes. After 20 minutes the wipe was only at 2% with numerous errors. After 20 minutes on a non damaged 40 gig drive the wipe progress should have been up to about 50% or better.

Going back to post #11, Have you heard any "clicking" or "grinding" noises coming from the vicinity of the hard drive.

Also, if it becomes necessary to burn an ISO image I see that the machine comes with SONIC RECORD NOW so burning an ISO image should not be a problem.

dbjjjt5

Happy New Year - would irq conflicts/sharing have anything to do with what we have been talking about researching? Below is a copy of the conflict/sharing log.

I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI bus
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controller

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF ATI RS300/RS300M Accelerated Graphics Port
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000/9100 IGP

IRQ 5 SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
IRQ 5 Agere Systems AC'97 Modem

I/O Port 0x00009000-0x00009FFF ATI RS300/RS300M Accelerated Graphics Port
I/O Port 0x00009000-0x00009FFF ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000/9100 IGP

Memory Address 0xD0100000-0xD01FFFFF ATI RS300/RS300M Accelerated Graphics Port
Memory Address 0xD0100000-0xD01FFFFF ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000/9100 IGP

IRQ 16 ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000/9100 IGP
IRQ 16 Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
IRQ 16 Texas Instruments PCI-1620 CardBus Controller with UltraMedia.
IRQ 16 NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller

Memory Address 0xE0000000-0xEFFFFFFF ATI RS300/RS300M Accelerated Graphics Port
Memory Address 0xE0000000-0xEFFFFFFF ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000/9100 IGP

IRQ 18 Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN #2
IRQ 18 NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller

IRQ 19 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
IRQ 19 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
IRQ 19 Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
IRQ 19 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF ATI RS300/RS300M Accelerated Graphics Port
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000/9100 IGP

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB ATI RS300/RS300M Accelerated Graphics Port
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000/9100 IGP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online