1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP not shutting down properly (BSOD instead)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by misterix, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. misterix

misterix Thread Starter

I recently installed a new video card. Now when I shut down I get the BSOD instead of the computer properly shutting down. I tried uninstalling my video card drivers and reinstalling the new ones. The BSOD says to check driver, do a BIOS update, Disable BIOS caching or shadowing (I'm not sure what this means but I see a line for cache line prefetch in bios menu in advanced settings of CPU Config). It stops at 0x0000007E and says the problem is in pci.sys - address F76D1AB9 base at F76CF000. I have a Asus P5GD1 motherboard, Pentium 4 3.2GHz, 1 GB SDRAM, Nvidia Geforce 210 PCI Express Card, Antec True 380W power supply, on-board sound card, 250 GB SATA Hard Drive not set as raid, windows xp sp3 install. Please tell me what I should do to fix this problem.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Is the graphics the ACTUAL Nvidia card or the Gigabyte or Zotac etc using this Nvidia chip and still referred to as the Nvidia Geforce 210 etc but by the other manuafacturer.
    A number of people do make that mistake.
    If it is Nvidia then go here again please and read the installation instructions, they DO have to be followed to the letter otherwise my experience is it will go wrong. Most important is disable your anti-virus while downloading - ONLY from the trusted Nvidia site and installing.
    If you have downloaded the latest, try the one before please.
    Make sure you select XP and not XP 64 bit, as you have 32 bit.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_210_us.html

Also hope you do not mind me pointing out that there are many variants of the 210 ie the 210GT, the 210
    If you have tried the 260.99 may I suggest you try the 260.89, if still no result the 258.96.

If still a problem please install this and run.
    Download, and install WhoCrashed: http://www.resplende...rashedSetup.exe
    Open it, click Analyze button.
    WhoCrashed will create report.
    Copy, and paste it into your next reply.

3. misterix

misterix Thread Starter

I have an MSI nvidia card and I downloaded the drivers from nvidia's website.

4. Macboatmaster

See the rest of my post please, completed just after your reply, I was in my database for the link to Who crashed and if you do not mind me telling you
    Do not use the Nvidia use the MSI here.
    http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=downloadindex

5. Macboatmaster

You need the other specification ID for the MSI site once you select that and then click the driver link you are there.

6. misterix

misterix Thread Starter

Did that and now it seems to actually make it worse. The Drivers also are older and look as if they packaged older nvidia drivers in a zip file these aren't specific msi drivers. Now I get an exclamation point in device manager for a duplicate entry of Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio and have no idea to fix it. How do I fix THAT now? Also, should I just install the latest Nvidia drivers from the Nvidia website since it's just a repackaging?

7. Macboatmaster

If you look at the Nvidia site it will tell you that the drivers from that site should NOT be installed on other than THEIR cards. They specifically mention that other manufacturers include aspects on THEIR own cards that are specific to them ie: MSI, Giigabyte etc.
    On device manager, click view, show hidden devices and update all possible drivers obviously dealing firstly with those bearing a warning.
    This may well deal with the duplicate entry.
    Have you checked the specification for that card to see if the BIOS of the motherboard requires an update. HOWEVER you will probably know that flashing the BIOS is never without risk.
    I did however se when looking at the specification of the motherboard that tey claim that their BIOS update providing the precautions are followed is safe.

If it was me I would check the latest chipset drivers for the motherboard and install those.
    Then I would deal with the items in device manager.
    Then if still a problem I would email support on the motherboard and support on the MSI graphics HAVING FIRST CHECKED THE FAQS on both sites.

DOES IT STILL BLUE SCREEN.
    Did you have a graphics card before or were you using integrated grpahics if the motherboardhas them and if so have you disabled integrated graphics in the BIOS

8. misterix

misterix Thread Starter

I had a graphic card installed before. Also I can tell you right now that it's obvious that they took the Nvidia drivers from nvidia bundled and then bundeled it in a zip file, they are NOT MSI modified. Even when I installed the drivers it warned me that the drivers I was installing was older. Also, there was no MSI logo in the installation further leading me to believe I don't need them from MSI's website.

9. misterix

misterix Thread Starter

Now I can't find an updated driver for the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio and there is an exclamation point in device manager for it. The KB888111 hotfix doesn't fix it.

10. Macboatmaster

Was the graphic card installed before in the PciE slot,or in the AGP slot and have you checked BIOS to ensure that it has correctly seen this card and tht if applicable AGP is not enabled. (Advanced Graphics Port).
    If you are convinced that you need the Nvidia and not the MSI I siggest you go back to MSI and use the auto detect - see what that recommends - try it.
    Then do the same on the Nvidia site. Both of these sites have auto detect my graphics- I think.

Does the card come with a driver - on a CD and which version of the ones available is that - a Nvidia one or a MSI one.

Have you checked Hidden devices as I recommended.
    If you did not have the warnings with the Nvidia driver go back to that and follow my advice re the other two Nvidia drivers.
    Alternatively download Who Crashed I sent you - Blue acreen it and look at the Who Crashed analysiis

11. misterix

misterix Thread Starter

PCI Express motherboard is setup as PCI Express no AGP setting is on. Can you tell me how to fix this other problem that was created?

12. misterix

misterix Thread Starter

Crash Dump Analysis
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Conclusion

Crash dumps are enabled but no valid crash dumps have been found. It may be that there are problems which prevent crash dumps from being written out. Check out the following article for possible causes: If crash dumps are not written out.

In case your computer does experience sudden reboots it is likely these are caused by malfunctioning hardware, power failure or a thermal issue. To troubleshoot a thermal issue, check the temperature using your BIOS setup program, check for dust in CPU and motherboard fans and if your computer is portable make sure it's located on a hard surface. Otherwise it's suggested you contact the support department of the manufacturer of your system or test your system with a memory test utility for further investigation.

Check out the following articles for more information: Troubleshooting sudden resets and shut downs.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

13. Macboatmaster

I CAN ONLY RECOMMEND YOU UPDATE ALLTHE DRIVERS POSSIBLE USING WINDOWS UPDATE OR THE MOTHERBOARD SITE, AS I RECOMMENDED ABOVE.

Do not forget to click view hidden devices.

14. misterix

misterix Thread Starter

I have the latest intel chipset drivers installed, when I uninstalled the video card drivers and installed the MSI ones it created an exclamation point next to the first (out of 2) Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio in the device manager. I have no clue how to fix that as it can't find a driver for it when I do update driver. I tried uninstalling the device then installing the latest drivers to my built-in to the motherboard Realtek sound-card. I'm trying to avoid emailing ASUS and MSI, so can you please help me at least get the exclamation point out of the device manager without disabling or uninstalling the card permanently. I'm thinking my pci.sys file is corrupt or isn't linking properly to the video card drivers that's why I am getting the BSOD.

15. Macboatmaster

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970439

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice