1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows xp oem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ANNWILLI, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ANNWILLI

ANNWILLI Thread Starter

what is windows xp oem. is it the same as the regular windows xp home edition?

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

OEM versions do not come with the book and you do not qualify for Microsoft support . . otherwise it is exactly the same as the retail versions.

wrs

3. wahlroot

wahlroot

OEM means original equipment manufacturer. It is made for a manufacturer, such as Dell, or others. If you buy it, the seller must add a piece of computer equipment, such as a piece of wiring. If you must talk to a person to activate your copy, they may ask if you received something. Tell them what you got and you installed it. The CD should load as any other. Write down the product key someplace where you will not lose it. If you have to reinstall, you will need it. The one I have will not do a repair, but so far that has not been a problem.

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

You will get a COA sticker to put on the pc . . you are unlikely to have to talk to anyone to activate ( over 20 installs so far and never had a activation problem) The OEM will perform a repair just like a full version

wrs

5. ezymony

ezymony

I got my oem from newegg no problems at all.

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

7. joehandy

joehandy

The OEM will perform a repair just like a full version

this is the part that interests me...how exactly do you do a repair? this is my first PC and i'm having problems getting updates downloaded and installed...plus, it won't start in safe mode...shuts off after the screen fills up with all that stuff...if you could help me out here, like a link or something, i would be eternally grateful...

8. philip1519

philip1519

Joe, you should try to clearly list what problems you are experiencing and let someone here decide what is needed. All windows updates are automatically downloaded by my computer, and I install all of them.This is my way of getting all that are offered even though some of the geeks here prefer to pick and choose which are installed. I admit that i don't know enough to do that so why would i even try?

9. Luthorcrow

Luthorcrow

Ya as stated above OEM OS is the same deal except they rook you for half the cash leaving more funding for games.

As for the tech support, it wasn't there in the first place. I find forums are more useful and informative.

10. iaavagent

iaavagent

In most cases you will find that an OEM is somewhat different than retail. Usually it's preloaded.As to a repair you may get an image/ghost disc to reload your OS, but you will lose all your personal data, updates etc. It will take you back to when you first bought the machine less all you added since. Back up,Back up,Back up!

Now some OEM may furnish a retail version of the OS but not all. If you have to do a re-install, repair {if lucky enough to get that version} be sure to follow instructions {manual} or contact your support team OR come here and post for help.
    Also the programs preloaded will vary. Be sure you understand what you're getting and what's available {for extra $$ of course}.

One other tip is that if you ever have to reinstall you may find some drivers etc are now obsolete and programs,modem etc won't work until you get the current ones that you had prior to reinstall. Why? you're reinstalling the originals from your disk and they may be old,as you updated at some point in time and you may not even know you did. There is a lot to know on this subject as well as others.
    Keep the faith and just read, Backup,read, Backup,and more reading! Good luck.

11. ANNWILLI

ANNWILLI Thread Starter

thanks for the info i saw windows xp oem at this site and wondered why it was selling for less than the ones i see in the storehttp://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=26 . i would like to put it on a barebones computer but wasnt sure exactly what the difference was..

12. Old Rich

Old Rich

It would be helpfull if you told us what problems you are trying to address.

This is a good guide to performing a repair install

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

The OEM version you buy is completely different than a OEM Disc that may come with a new pc . . The ones that come with new pc's are usually customized for the modle it is installed on . . The OEM you buy ( from NewEgg ) is a full version of XP . . just no tech support and no manual.

wrs

13. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

See last seven words in "simswr's" post. I decided to pay the extra for a MS 'retail' full version so I had access to MS support if needed. Further, perhaps the version at NEWEgg is a dup of a MS original, but that is nottrue of many others offered by various vendors. "Buyer beware!"

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/277031

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice