1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP on a Windows 10 SATA Drive

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Dingus, Jan 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Hi all.
    I have a dilemma.
    I have a laptop that is loaded with W10. I want to use software that will only run on XP.
    I can’t load XP as the laptop is SATA and XP can’t use SATA. I’ve tried. XP will only load on IDE or Legacy.

So my question is. Will XP load onto a virtual drive on a SATA machine?

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

3. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

SpywareDr
    Ta

4. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

5. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    I have used XP on a laptop with SATA and it works fine. You may need to change a setting in the Bios to make it to work, but might also need to re-install W10 too. The best method is just to swap your HDD from your laptop if you don't wish to do the reinstallments.
    I have installed XP programs into W10 and some of them seems to work pretty well.

NOTE: Make sure your computer is compatible with XP and drivers are available too.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I've done a clean install of Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit several times in computers that have a SATA hard drive, and I've had no problem doing it.

You didn't say if your copy of Windows XP contains Service Pack 3.

--------------------------------------------------------------

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The problem with XP and sata is the mode of the controller. If the sata controller is set to IDE more or legacy mode, it installs just fine. XP will not see a sata drive when the controller is set to either AHCI or Raid mode without loading a mass storage driver. The next problem is that XP will only load the driver from a floppy; not practical on a modern system. The only real way to get XP to load on a sata in normal or AHCI mode is to slipstream the drivers into a custom install CD using nlite or other similar program. Years ago I had a number of custom W2K and XP install CDs with highpoint raid drivers, intel raid drivers, amd raid, etc.

8. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Cr I downloaded nLite to do just that. However finding a driver is not easy. I've done google search for one but end up with sites trying to sell stuff and no download.
    Think I'll just buy an old laptop that has XP on it.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

With a laptop, it is proprietary. If there are no xp drivers, you are wasting your time.
    Software from one era very often does not work with hardware from a different era.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222418

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice