1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP on Acer Aspire One 725

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AngelaMerkel, Jan 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AngelaMerkel

AngelaMerkel Thread Starter

Hello.

I've downgraded my netbook - Acer Aspire One 725 from windows 7 to Windows XP SP3.

On Windows 7 it was very very slow and not usable.

On Windows XP the machine works quite fast and is not freezing.

The problem is that there's no SOUND.

The machine has AMD APU C-60 processor, its integrated with AMD Radeon HD 6290.

I've read somewhere that this netbook should have two sound chips, one in Radeon graphic card for HDMI output.

And one integrated in motherboard.

Am I right?

In device manager there is AMD High Definition Audio installed.

Aida64 shows two positions:

• AMD Hudson-3 FCH - High Definition Audio Controller PCI
    • ATI Radeon HDMI @ AMD K14 - High Definition Audio Controller PCI

When I try to access volume control it says something like this: "no mixer device".

I would appreciate any help.

<peace>

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Acer Aspire One 725 netbook is designed for Windows 7/8/8.1 and not for Windows XP, so having a driver issue with one or more of its devices is expected.
    According to its support site, it has Realtek high definition audio.

Go here, then click one of the download links to download and save the WDM_R274.exe file.
    Close all open windows first, then double-click the saved file to start the install process.
    Follow the instructions from there.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    No. sound is not the same as graphics (video).

I'm guessing this netbook came with 2GB of RAM. We have two Acer netbooks in the house, a 722 and a V5. I upped the RAM to 4GB in both of them. The 722 will never be speedy because it uses the same low end processor as your netbook but adding additional RAM helped.

I saw the Win 7 Experience Index on the AO-725 is 3.2 and the low mark is the processor.
    My V-5 shows the processor (CPU) with an index of 5.4. A better processor makes the difference.

You'd be safer running linux, if you are not satisfied with Win 7, rather than an unpatched, unprotected version of Windows if you plan on going on the internet with the netbook.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I agree with Liz.
    The Acer Aspire One 725 netbook comes with an AMD C-60 APU 1.00 GHz dual-core processor which has a very low benchmark score of 550.
    It will give that netbook the performance of a turtle, even if you were to max it out with 4 GB of DDR3 RAM.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    True, Liz, but a little misleading in this context. The ability to get sound over HDMI is a capability in the HDMI portion of the graphics card. The first (and only the first) implementation of HDMI (as in my PC bought in early 2007) did not include sound.

6. AngelaMerkel

AngelaMerkel Thread Starter

Thank you for your answers.

The AMD High Definition Audio device was installed with Radeon drivers (Audio HDMI driver).

This machine is for my friend , she is not familiar with linux.

I will try installing Realtek drivers first and then Radeon drivers (with HDMI audio output driver).

thanks

greetings from Poland

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1163956

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice