1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP on Toshiba Satellite L355-S7812

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by redbroyer, Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redbroyer

redbroyer Thread Starter

Greetings all.

I have a Toshiba Satellite L355-S7812 which came factory installed with Windows Vista.

I would like to install Windows XP onto the machine. I have legal licenses and would prefer an operating system that is less buggy and not as much of a resource hog. I have looked online for XP drivers, but this machine appears to have been built specifically for Vista. I have perused the Toshiba site and it appears as though there are plenty of Vista and 7 drivers, but the XP drivers listed do not include wifi and some other components.

So, with the background out of the way, on to the question.....

I am curious if anybody has experience with this machine and has successfully installed Windows XP. I am tired of the Vista "experience" and with the age of this machine, I am thinking that I don't want to upgrade to 7 just to sell it or make it a communal laptop for the family. I have also considered making this my kids gaming (lite games) machine, but it would need to be more stable than it is not.

The Vista recovery partition is intact, but if i were to continue on w/ Vista, I am thinking that I would just format the whole drive and see if it will handle 64bit so that i can dump more RAM in it. It is just running so slow in its current configuration. Once again, I could just make an attempt at Ubuntu (and personally have no issues with it) but the others in my house would not be as capable on it and the game support is lacking at best.

I know that this is a shot in the dark, but I'm ready to experiment. Thanks in advance!

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here are the detailed specifications for the Toshiba Satellite L355-S7812 (PSLD0U-00800X) laptop.

Here is the support and driver downloads site for that laptop.

It does support Windows(64-bit) and up to 4 GB of RAM, so upgrading it to Windows 7(64-bit) and maxing it out with RAM would be the more logical direction to go with it instead of downgrading it to Windows XP and having some of its devices not work.

-----------------------------------------------------------

3. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I cannot give you exact experience with that machine with windows xp, but I have done something similar to this.

I had a machine that came preinstalled with Windows 8, and down graded to Windows 7. There were no drivers for Windows 7 for this machine, but I used drivers of another machine that was fairly close to it; just a slightly different model. After trying many different drivers, I finally got all the right ones and everything worked.

Now with sharing this, I am not going to guarantee that it will work, but there definitely is a chance. Sounds like you are going to remove vista no matter what. I would probably keep the recovery partition just in case you want to revert back to it, even though it sounds like you don't want to. If you are unable to get xp working, then you can just restore to vista and then use it as a computer for the family, or that is what it sounds like you want to do.

Not sure what others here would recommend, but I think it's worth a shot, especially if you find a similar machine to yours that you can find xp drivers for it.

4. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    I would pursue moving into Win 7 seeing as support for XP is ending around this time next year. And windows 7 has been out long enough it is MUCH more astable than Vista was and ever will be IMO.

5. redbroyer

redbroyer Thread Starter

thank you for the suggestions.

as for upgrading to Windows 7, that's the 3rd to last thing i want to do (the 2nd to last being Windows 8 and the last being staying on Vista). i just don't want to spend more money on another OS when this one really should last longer than it did. i guess i'm just old fashioned.....

i will look for a similar system specs and attempt to go that route. i have a Vista license as well, so i could always just re-install without the partition. the way this machine operates is very unacceptable. thanks for the input!!!

6. redbroyer

redbroyer Thread Starter

i had another post regarding a different machine but it was closed as a duplicate to this one. the only similarity between the two posts is that i'm trying to get away from Vista and i'm trying to find somebody with experience on these machines to tell me if X is even possible. it's not even the same type of device, being a laptop vs. desktop. so while i understand that the issue is similar in nature, the hardware is completely different. so i will post that request here as well:

Greetings all.

I have a Gateway GT5668e which came factory installed with Windows Vista.

I have already had to rebuild this machine once and blew away the recovery partition as it was corrupted. I successfully installed Windows Vista 32bit on the machine and was able to get the machine up and running successfully. The machine still has the occasional nagging issue of slowness and general weird activity. I cannot be more descriptive than that and it's really irrelevant to my question.

I would like to install Windows XP onto the machine. I have legal licenses and would prefer an operating system that is less buggy and not as much of a resource hog. I have looked online for XP drivers, but this machine appears to have been built specifically for Vista. I have perused the Gateway site for drivers and input my serial number. The only drivers on their site are Vista specific. It would appear that even if if I were to purchase a Windows 7 upgrade disc, I would not be able to find drivers for that OS on their site either.

So, with the background out of the way, on to the question.....

I am curious if anybody has experience with this machine and has successfully installed Windows XP or 7. I am tired of the Vista "experience" and would like to move away from it. In the event that I cannot find what I need, I will probably just give into the powers that be and re-install Vista. I would like though to provide my kids with an operating system that works and that they are familiar with. Otherwise I would just scrap everything and run to Ubuntu. The issue with that solution is that their games will not work on it and I would imagine that Wine would have the same driver issues if I were to create a virtual XP machine within the Ubuntu installation.

I know that this is a shot in the dark, but I'm ready to experiment. Thanks in advance!

7. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I say if you are able to reinstall vista no problem in case it doesn't work, then just try xp or if you want to buy windows 7 licenses, then go that route. I doubt you are going to find someone that has this exact machine and has tried it. So the only way to find out, is to try it out. That's my opinion.

8. Netghost56

Netghost56

Windows 7 is the "fixed" version of Vista :D

9. Zygmo

Zygmo

The only issue you should run into is finding XP drivers for your hardware. A friend purchased a new laptop (don't know what brand) new with Vista, and could not get XP drivers for everything.

Do a full system image, save it off to an external disc, and try it. If you can't find drivers, or whatever, you can be back up and running in Vista in no time.

And there is nothing wrong with continuing to use XP, especially on older machines. I like XP! I realize support is going to drop before much longer, but even that won't be the end of the world, as long as you keep a good anti-virus program running, and be careful what you visit on the net with that machine.

I had a computer that just would not handle SP3 very well, so I just kept using it with SP2 long after support was dropped for it. Never had any issues with viruses by doing just that. Another thing...when support for SP3 is dropped, keep a fresh image saved....if something happens, reinstall the image and you are good to go again.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1100269

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice