1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP only loads in safe mode?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bbaffert, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bbaffert

bbaffert Thread Starter

Hi,

I have been fighting with my daughters computer for hours and hours.

It is an new model emachine with Windows XP.

The problem is I can load it everytime in safe mode and it works fine. Actually I use safe mode with networking for internet and it works fine.

When I just try to load windows normally it gets to the dark Windows screen and the blue loading thing runs across the screen for about 20 seconds then just stops and nothing happens. It just will not load.

The computer was bought refurbished so I do not have any kind of reload disk. I have used safe mode to restore to earlier points a month back and it still does the same thing. I just updated my video driver to make sure that was not the problem, same thing.

Could this be a virus or is it most likely drivers? I keep thinking it is a virus because safe mode works and I tried to load the computer normally with very minimal drivers and it still hung up.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Sherry22160

Sherry22160

How about trying a check disk repair from safe mode? This should correct any errors/corruptions in system files which would be a good start at eliminating some software possibilities. Here's how:

Disk/repair (Check Disk)
    Left click on My Computer(open)
    Right click on "C" or your OS drive if another letter.
    Left click Properties and then click Tools Tab.
    Left click on "Error Checking"> Check Now.
    Left click to enter check mark in BOTH boxes offered.
    Left click on "Start".
    Computer will have to reboot to begin repairs.
    Just leave alone (you're locked out anyway) 'til process finished.
    If computer normal after process complete you might want to create a new
    restore point and Label it POST ERROR REPAIR.
    This is based on using an onboard copy of sys
    files if copy is ok.
    If copy is corrupted, it may tell you to insert XP or SP2(if patch applied) disk or to indicate location of SP2 info to get new,
    clean copy inserted. Good to have disk at hand.

Could be CMOS battery but I would expect one to last 5 years from new (more or less by a month or two).
    Also possible overheating (dead or clogged fans) or power supply dying. Likely if fans have never been cleaned. Check for this by removing side panels on unit and aiming a desk top fan at unit to help cooling. If symptom stops, overheat is likely problem

3. bbaffert

bbaffert Thread Starter

Sherry,

Would the computer load in safe mode and not normal mode if it was overheating?

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Unfortunately there are many possibilies....weak hard drive could boot to safe mode and not have enough to boot full into Windows. Could be failing power supply for same reason and emachines are known for that. Could also be failing video card and putting in pci card would solve that question. I would also try XP Repair but you need XP Cd to do it.http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543557

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice