1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP or Vista?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by karbo, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. karbo

karbo Banned Thread Starter

I'm planning on buying a new computer and would like to know what OS I should install.
    Vista is new and will be around for a long while but it will take a lot more system ressources to run (at least 1 or 2 Gb of RAM). So, risk of lack of performance, depending of course on the computer you get.

How long will XP be updated before Microsoft ditches us. I heard XP Home will stop being updated soon and XP Pro SP2 will last another 5 years. Is that true?

If I can count on updates for the next 5 years, should I stay with XP? With todays superpowerful computers, won't it be even faster with XP instead of Vista?

What is the real advantage of going with Vista?

Thank you

2. karbo

Wow, I thought I would get tons of answers! I guess this must have been a hot discussion for a while and people are now fed up with this subject.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

I guess I don't see why someone would consider an OS that is 7 years old. I don't see a great deal of difference in "resources" used in Vista except the obvious larger amount of recommended memory. In fact, I've installed both Vista and XP on my old machine and I think they run comparably well (740 MB's of RAM, 1800 MHz range).

Go with the new one. If you really need to, you can trim it down to run as well or better than XP. If you already have XP, you can run it in VirtualBox in Vista and have both.

4. karbo

Thank for your answer.

Why so many people switch back to XP after trying Vista?

5. karbo

Thanks for your answer.

6. karbo

Thanks for your answer.

7. karbo

Sorry for the multiple messages. It was taking so long after typing my reply that I clicked more than once.

You say XP is 7 years old, but still it's continuously updated...

8. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

People switch back to XP because they are overwhelmed by change. It just takes time to get used to, most people that switch back to XP haven't given Vista a reasonable trial.

9. karbo

Well, to be quite honest, I don't feel like encouraging the industry of making everything bigger all the time, only to sell more and more. It's all a vicious cycle. Make bigger programs to force people to change their computers or hardware because they can't deal anymore with those ressource hogs. Look at the games, it's crazy what they need to run nowadays. XP works great with 512 Mb of RAM. Vista... 1 or better with 2 Gb. So, you need a bigger machine. When will it stop? The vicious cycle I tell you... If I didn't have to learn an OS all over again, I would definitely go with Linux!

I've had the same old computer for 8 years and it served me right but everything is getting so big that it's beginning to be a little too slow.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

You're right, but that's life. And it is really what the consumers buy that powers the whole process, so if people didn't always want bigger and better, it wouldn't be an option.

Though there is much to be said for "Linux" (needs quotes because there is no such thing--more like umpteen "Linuxes", making the whole option a huge mess), it's actually nice to have the best of all the worlds and use virtualization. I have XP (transferred from my old machine), Vista, and Ubuntu on this machine and that does all I need to do.

11. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I see this as an education problem.
    As long as the majority of people will buy the 'latest' 'new' product (and they do) manufacturers will offer exactly that.
    Unfortunately not many people (I include myself here for most products) understand the difference between 'new' and 'better', as long as that's the case Ad Agencies will thrive and spew out hype for mass consumption.

If you don't believe that read the specs for a Graphics card - Q.E.D :rolleyes:

12. MrBillPro

MrBillPro

I personally have every operating system Bill has ever shipped out the doors and I still prefer Windows 2000 Professional and still use it now, I gave Vista a try and IMO it sucks and is a pig, want my opinion use what makes you happy as I do and don't listen to anyone. :D

13. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Seems to be a bit of a contradiction here ...

14. YellowJacket22

YellowJacket22

I purchased a Toshiba A135 with Vista just when it came out. I like change - but only when it's for the better. Way too many items have become overly complicated when they could have simply made it easier. I spent around two weeks re-formatting the A135 to run on windows XP - after about 100 hrs of work it was an even bigger disaster. Too many holes in the drivers when switching - at least for Toshiba. It's back to Vista again, but I can't use it for anything. Half the time the internet crashes and most programs won't load onto it properly. I actually am using my old XP Gateway Desktop for normal internet searching. You can pick one up for about $25 on craigslist and by far a more pleasurable computing experience. I'll never buy another "new" microsoft program again.

15. Hughv

Hughv

I think Elvandil is right.
    As long as your new machine is Vista capable, there's no reason not to go for it.
    There are actually some very nice new features, and SP1 may fix some of the known problems.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697361

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice