Windows XP/Outlook Express Ghost Writing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Nate505

I wasn't sure if this was the right forum to put this in, because I don't know if XP or Outlook Express is causing the problem, but here it goes. One of the doctor's for the company I work for has an IBM Thinkpad laptop with Windows XP Professional. She was writing an e-mail today, and all of a sudden, the cursor on the e-mail started to type itself. It wasn't quite typing gibberish, but it was typing sentences that didn't quite make sense (as if a scitzophrenic were talking) all by itself. It is the most bizarre thing I've ever seen before. Can anyone give me any advise? I'll be happy to answer all questions, because I don't have a clue.

B

bcon76

First thing I would check is to see if the computer has voice recognition enabled and if there is a mic on the machine that is picking up backround noise (t.v., office conversation, etc.). Many people have experianced this "ghost". I red a story where a couple had a new computer and it started typing their e-mails. Some of it was giberish and misspelled words and then they started seing things like CIA and got worried. This was around 9/11 and they had CNN on 24/7 and it was picking up reports from the t.v. Hence the CIA words.

Nate505

That was it exactly. The voice recognition software was on in the backgroud (it was quite hillarious after I discovered it). Thanks a million for your advice....we have one less freaked out doctor here, which is a good thing (interestingly enough, when we tested it, the word 'CIA' came up even though I didn't say it. I sure wouldn't use it for anything).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online