1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Parallel port & Video Card Conflict

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by liquid_vision, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. liquid_vision

liquid_vision Thread Starter

Safe Mode/Parallel Port/Video Driver Error Hi all.

Please, read this post fully and carefully before posting a response, as the error is VERY specific, and I'm hoping I'm not the only person who has had it...

I am attempting to repair a laptop which is running WinXP Home.

I have installed service pack 3, and the most up to date security packs that are available.

Windows boots correctly in normal mode, however, booting into safe mode results in a blue screen, with the following stop code

0x000000B4

I have attributed this error to a conflict between the parallel port and the video card, and after some googling, I discovered that the problem can be corrected by changing the hardware address of the parallel port to one which does not conflict.

The problem is this. This laptop does not have a parallel port. The BIOS does not contain anything relating to the parallel port at all, and there is no way I can change the address of the video card in either the BIOS or windows.

My current idea is to try and remove the parallel port driver from safe mode, but I have no idea where to find it, and no help is available on the internet.

I am appealing to anybody who knows of this sort of fault, or can think of anything avenue I might explore as a solution - I've been on this for the past 9 hours without a break, and I'm at my wits' end....

I have eliminated the following as potential causes.

1) Viruses - System is completely clean
    2) Rootkits - as above, plus, system boots in normal mode
    3) Broken windows directory (I have checked the contents against a working system, and all system files are present as they should be)

Hopefully awaiting responses, Alex

2. Officer Dibble

Officer Dibble

We need to know which make and model the laptop is, please.

Uninstall and reinstall your video dirivers, making sure they are correct for the model laptop.

3. liquid_vision

The laptop is an Acer 1642LMi.

The drivers are the correct ones for this machine - if they were not, the graphics card would not work in normal mode.

The problem ONLY occurs in safe mode, where the driver being loaded is NOT the standard driver (in this case the GMA900 driver - specifically, the driver for the 915 chipset).

4. liquid_vision

Have confirmed (removing and reinstalling drivers) that the problem is not related to the graphics driver.

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

To disable the parallel port driver from starting, open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Current Control Set\Services\ParPort, and set Start to 4.

You can run the DriverView utility after restarting the machine to verify it is no longer being loaded. http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

A possible down side to the above is an error message that the driver failed to start. Then you would have to troubleshoot what is trying to start it.

6. liquid_vision

Excellent!!!! Many many thanks!!!!

Can you confirm whether this will work in safe mode as well, or would it just apply to the control set in use when the machine is booted?

7. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I haven't tried it but I believe the "4" should disable the driver in safe and normal modes.

8. liquid_vision

Excellent!! Many thanks again.

I will try it as soon as I am next on the laptop.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917501

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice