Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows XP pop-ups and app launches fail after 24 hrs

539 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  fbell50 
#1 ·
This problem is occurring on two different Windows XP machines, one pro & one home. After an extended period of time ranging from about 20 hrs to 3 days it becomes impossible to launch applications and currently running apps cannot open a pop-up window. Typically I have about 20 windows open, but will have started and stopped dozens, possibly hundreds of mostly console apps. If I close some then it is possible to load apps, but the process repeats itself requiring even more windows to be closed. The only solution is to reboot and then all is well. Immediately following the reboot I can open all the apps present before the reboot and many more.

The most useful error message I have gotten is an Event Id 26, which is not very helpful since it seems to be a generic message used when any popup window fails. Both system & user apps are affected. I have lived with it on a Dell desktop for well over a year. Now I’m having the same problem with a Thinkpad. The Dell is hyper-threaded and the Thinkpad dual-core. My other machines have been single. I have not tried turning the feature off yet, but I will.

It seems obvious to me that some system resource is being used up, but I cannot identify what it is. I have tried shutting down all apps and trying to bring the system back as close as I can to a post-boot status. There is plenty of both real & virtual memory available. There is no unusual number of processes running.

I have Googled the problem and found two similar error reports, but neither had any useful suggestions.

Any suggestions?

Frank

See less See more
#2 ·
Go into task manager and go to the Processes tab. This should tell you what programs are taking up what resources. Could be one of your programs you use might close, but the process does not stop. It could be that everytime you launch it, it creates another session of it and eventually you have a bunch of extra processes going. Check that out and let me know.

Ive seen that happen with Outlook before.

#3 ·
I've done that. Once I shutdown every process that looked safe. But I did not review the resources that could be looked at closely enough and I see there is a GDI Object count. I've always suspected it might be something like that. I'll check it out when I run into the situation in the next day or two.

Thanks for pointing me in a positive direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.