1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP pro caused floppy drive failure

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by actiontec, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. actiontec

actiontec Thread Starter

I recently installed windows xp pro on my computer.
    Everything is working ok except my 3.5 floppy drive.
    If I insert a good disk (checked on laptop) and request a dir read I get an correct dir read after fresh computer start. After that no matter what disk I put into the floppy drive I get the same dir read as from the first disk.

If I restart the computer the floppy will read a new disk directory ok the first time but then it will not read another disk. If I insert five disks into the drive it gives me the dir of the first disk.

I have change floppy disk drives. I have checked all disk on another computer to prove they are good. At one point the XP program wrote data and new directory over information on a disk inserted into the floppy. This problem began immediately after XP pro was loaded to replace the previous MICROSOFT DIaster Windows ME

IS it Windows (garbage) xp system or do I have a VIRUS. I have done all the simple support junk on the MS web and help systems That simply ask me if Microsoft Corp is in Washington State (as usual) but do not address the specific issue
    I have checked the floppy driver via hardware and system. It is there and is the same driver as on another XP computer. When I check floppy drive the message says equipment working properly.
    It appears that NEIL has a similar problem. What Say you COMPUTER GURUS?

You may reply to [email protected] Thanks Dan

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275735

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice