1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP pro Disaster

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by duir, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. duir

duir Thread Starter

Hi - Please bear with me, I am no expert but will try and explain as best I can.

History: 3 days ago my mouse stopped working, a new one, changed to another one which worked for 2 days. Swapped back to the other, worked for a day. I could only move the cursor left to right or it would freeze completely. Today neither would work. I was desparate to get online and this mini laptop isnt really what I need, so I reformatted the pc.

Since doing so, my ISP cd was loaded but it said it couldnt locate the ethernet cable although it was plugged in, tried different ports both on the hub and pc, not recognising it.

In device manager I dont see a network adaptor, loaded the OS cd again and nothing. I've only had this pc since August, built for me with new components. After reformatting, the mouse worked for a couple of hours and now has frozen again, after 5 hours re-bloody-formatting (forgive my french - you should hear it here, its worse)

I seriously cannot afford another new pc, is there anything that sticks out to anyone? I'm sure everyone says it but I'm desparate. I've been sat here trying to sort it out all day. Do you think it was it a virus?

Hope you can help me and many thanks in anticipation of a reply.

2. DVOM

DVOM

Holy Moly...it takes 5 hours to do an XP reformat? That should be 1 hour or less.

Seriously, as for your ethernet, did you load the driver for the ethernet device? After an OS install, you've got to load all the device drivers. Typically, chip set, video, sound, ethernet, wireless. And others specific to your machine. None of these things are going to work until you install the drivers.

And the mice, it's not unheard of to have 2 failed mice. Do they work in another machine?

3. duir

duir Thread Starter

(think precisely duir and do not exaggerate when frustrated)

OK not 5 hours to reformat, but actually all day searching the internet for solutions for the mouse problem, contacting the guy who built the computer who's now disappeared, talking to my ISp etc etc A quick reformat took 45 mins then when I couldnt see the network adaptor re reformatted which took 3 hours, maybe its this version of xp, dont know ...

The mice work in an old computer for dos games but isnt connected to the internet.

Right, so I tried loading all the drivers, graphics card, printer but need to be online .. (see level of expertise=zilch) Could you tell me what I do to get online (tries hard not to cry)the guy who built me this gave me a graphics cd and thats it, I'm loading a 2004 edition of xp which reformatted a pc last year and it just went online with my hub, recognised it and I didnt have to do anything else except load all the drivers after that.

I'm very grateful for your response.

edited to ad: I loaded my ISP cd which didnt recognise the ethernet was connected, is it this cd that loads the ethernet device? Do I explore the cd? if so what am I looking for?

4. duir

duir Thread Starter

Its an old version of xp, found out just now, cant be bothered with it so got linux ... happy bunny bye bye windows

thanks holy moly ;)
    signed computer idiot

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Before you do a hard drive format and clean reinstall of Windows XP, you should know the identity of your computer's devices and you should have their drivers copied and saved in a CD-R or USB thumb drive.

You can then use that external media to install the drivers that didn't get installed during the reinstall of Windows XP.

It's my guess there are one or more entries in the Device Manager that have a ? next to them.

-----------------------------------------------------------

You refer to your computer as a "mini laptop", so I'm guessing it's a netbook.

What's the complete brand name, model name, and model number of your computer?

------------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028853

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice