1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Xp Pro Driver Issue

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Space Cowboy, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy Thread Starter

Ok,

I tried out this site and it showed me where I needed to update some drivers.

Problem is I don't know how to correct this one that's left.

Any Help Out There?

Thanks

TouchStone's NEW Driver Agent

Attached Files:

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You should see it in the Device Manager under HID devices. If it has a RED X, just remove it and reboot. You will see an "update driver" tab in the interface, but there is no update -- just standard XP drivers which you should already have if the other is working properly.

3. Space Cowboy

There is no red X so I guess it's a false alarm.

Are there new drivers out for USB ports?

Version 2 or are they built into Windows XP?

Thanks

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you have any of the service pack updates you should be set.

This is what you should see under both instances (driver > details)

see attachment.

Attached Files:

5. Space Cowboy

Thats what I got. Seems like allot of human interface devices though?

thanks

Attached Files:

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You have 4. Each device that requires it will create a separate entry. To see which device, look at the "location" entry in the description. I only have 2 but the drivers are the same.

7. Space Cowboy

OK That makes sence.

So how do you tell what USB drivers you are using. If they are version 1.1 or 2.0 or whatever?

Thanks

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You have USB 2.0 IF one of your USB Controllers says "Enhanced". The driver details will include usbehci.sys.

I can't tell from your screenshot since it appears to be cut off at the point where these controllers are fully listed.

9. Space Cowboy

Thanks .. I do have one that say's "Enhanced". Just curious if the website was for real or if they are trying to get in my very thin wallet ;)

It did give me some direction on which drivers they felt needed updating so not a total loss. After you install the active x thingy you can just delete it with HyJackThis.

Cheer's

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Just because some site says you should update drivers, that doesn't actually mean it's a good idea.

11. Space Cowboy

Which ones is it a good idea to keep an eye on? It did point out that I wasn't using my SATA driver for nforce. I was using windows generic.

12. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Usually I only update drivers if I am having a glitch or if something comes along that tells me it requires a specific version of a driver. If it ain't broke don't fix it is my motto and if I am running windows generic and it runs as I had hoped then more power to it.

That and no matter what I NEVER let windows update do any driver modifications.

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I agree, the time to start scratching you head is when things are not working right. Performance is your best test.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434702

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice