Windows Xp Pro Driver Issue

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
You should see it in the Device Manager under HID devices. If it has a RED X, just remove it and reboot. You will see an "update driver" tab in the interface, but there is no update -- just standard XP drivers which you should already have if the other is working properly.

Space Cowboy

There is no red X so I guess it's a false alarm.

Are there new drivers out for USB ports?

Version 2 or are they built into Windows XP?

Thanks

If you have any of the service pack updates you should be set.

This is what you should see under both instances (driver > details)

see attachment.

Attachments

You have 4. Each device that requires it will create a separate entry. To see which device, look at the "location" entry in the description. I only have 2 but the drivers are the same.

Space Cowboy

OK That makes sence.

So how do you tell what USB drivers you are using. If they are version 1.1 or 2.0 or whatever?

Thanks

You have USB 2.0 IF one of your USB Controllers says "Enhanced". The driver details will include usbehci.sys.

I can't tell from your screenshot since it appears to be cut off at the point where these controllers are fully listed.

Space Cowboy

Thanks .. I do have one that say's "Enhanced". Just curious if the website was for real or if they are trying to get in my very thin wallet ;)

It did give me some direction on which drivers they felt needed updating so not a total loss. After you install the active x thingy you can just delete it with HyJackThis.

Cheer's

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Just because some site says you should update drivers, that doesn't actually mean it's a good idea.

Space Cowboy

JohnWill said:
Just because some site says you should update drivers, that doesn't actually mean it's a good idea.
Which ones is it a good idea to keep an eye on? It did point out that I wasn't using my SATA driver for nforce. I was using windows generic.

Usually I only update drivers if I am having a glitch or if something comes along that tells me it requires a specific version of a driver. If it ain't broke don't fix it is my motto and if I am running windows generic and it runs as I had hoped then more power to it.

That and no matter what I NEVER let windows update do any driver modifications.

I agree, the time to start scratching you head is when things are not working right. Performance is your best test.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online