1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Pro-error-boot from cd rom failure can someone help?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xfile47, Nov 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

My friend just called me and his computer would n't boot so I went to look at it and don't know what is wrong. I am at home again I told him I would try to find something out so he doesn't have to do a clean install.

His computer has been working great, he downloads a few things it has been working good. Now, He has these sims games. He said that the sims game he was playing told him he need a different video driver and it was 15.oo so he clicked on no and continue. well he told me that everytime he played the sims game it would eventully go to a black screen and he said crash the computer, (I don't no exactly what he meant by crash the computer I think he meant a blue screen but I don't know he ifs around an hard to understand him. anyway he said he had played it 10 or 12 times and it did that everytime. He said he was playing it last night and it did that so he shut the computer down. He said when he got up today and went to turn the computer on it wouldn't boot up.

IT goes through where it reconizes the hareddrives and cdrom etc but right before it would go to the windows screen it just won't go any farther. It says at the bottom of the screen its the black screen and says boot from cd rom failure and won't go any farther.I booted it with his system cd and did a repair but it still goes to that screen and no farther,.

I don't want to and he doesn't want to do a clean install is there anyway to get to a command prompt to put in a command for a system restore?

I tried to get to safemode but since it won't boot can't get therre either. Can someone tell me if there is anything I can do to help him out??

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Boot to the cd and choose the first "R" for system recovery and then type in fixboot (then enter)and then again fixmbr (then enter) and that should fix it.

3. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

type in fixboot and then enter and then fixmbr and enter again and it will fix it???

4. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

I just called him and told him what to do, I told him to call me back to let me know if it went ok, Thanks a million, No, thanks 2 million :)

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Thanks I missed the "enter" so I added it!

6. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Thanks, I will let you know if it works or not

7. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

He called me back and asked a couple of questions and I walked him through it it said his mbr was wrong or something but it said it rewrote both things the fixboot and fixmbr then I had him type exit to get out of it and he took the disk out and rebooted but it didn't work it was the same thing, and other idea's he could try??

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/519456

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice