1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Pro freezing when running certain applications

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Deflo, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deflo

Deflo Thread Starter

Hi all,

I was recently forced (thanks, Spyware) to reformat my PC and reinstall Windows XP.

I have encountered problems when running image emulation software, in particular: Daemon Tools Pro and Alcohol 120 (PowerISO works fine).

The installation process runs without incident, but when I run the application everything freezes and I am forced to manually power off and restart. As this happens with two different applications in a near-identical fashion, I presume the problem lies outside the programs.

I have used registry cleaning software and driver wizard programs in an effort to get all of my components running up to speed, but this hasn't solved the problem.

Caveat: In my Device Manager, there are a number of (!) devices:
    - Standard floppy disk controller
    - Multimedia Audio Controller
    - SM Bus Controller
    - USB Device

I'm not sure how relevant the Multimedia Audio Controller may be, as I am using an external soundcard which allows me to use Winamp etc. without any difficulties. I am also unsure as how to identify what these devices are and thus which drivers I need for them.

My system:
    Intel 2.40ghz Dual Core
    2GB Ram
    Windows XP Professional
    NVidia Geforce 8800 GTS 320mb

I have attached my DxDiag for your reference.

I thank you for your time and assistance with this matter, and if there's any other information please don't hesitate to ask. :eek:

Kind regards,

Adam

Attached Files:

2. dutchtech

dutchtech

Just open the case of your desktop and perhaps with a little flashlight check which make and model your mainboard is, go to the manufactures website and download the drivers (usually support). This should take care of most of the ! in your device mangers list.

Bas Kalter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/876270

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice