1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Pro Install Does Not Recognize USB Keyboard

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rjf_techgirl, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rjf_techgirl

rjf_techgirl Thread Starter

I am trying to do a clean install of Windows XP Pro on a Dell Optiplex 740. My problem is that once I'm in the install program, I am stuck. The installation/setup program will not recognize the keyboard. I can't hit Enter, F3, R or anything.

Yes, I have tried different ports and different keyboards. I ran diagnostics and they came up clean with no problems.

These machines do not have PS/2 ports.

Any suggestions? Is there a setting that should be changed in the BIOS?

Also, the PCs do not have floppy drives so I can't boot from a Windows XP, 98 or anything else floppy either.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Look in BIOS for a "Enable legacy USB" setting . . Those machines usually only the top two USB ports are "live" during the installation

3. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

a clean install requires l, c, enter, etc for removing/creating/formatting. follow the prompts.

you'll also need drivers, unique to that machine, for chipset, video, audio and ethernet/nic, chipset 1st.

just did this on my son's dell desktop.

4. rjf_techgirl

I've looked through every setting in the BIOS and I see nothing about Legacy USB. All the USB ports are set to "ON"

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

all usb's might not work until the chipset drivers are loaded.

6. rjf_techgirl

I understand that you are trying to be helpful, but I do know what a clean install requires. I do this for a living, reinstall and reimage desktops and laptops every single day. I'm not asking for help with doing a clean install. I'm asking for a work around for the situation that I find myself in which is new to me.

We have only just gotten this particular model of Dell in (Optiplex 740) and this is the first time I've been in a situation where the keyboard does not function in the install screen. Without a functioning/recognized keyboard, it's impossible to hit any keys or follow any prompts.

I need to get the PC to recognize/use the USB keyboard so that I can start the install.

7. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

at work they added one of these goofy, multi funcion usb keyboards without software.

f11 doesn't work for full screen, f5 doesn't refresh, as both keys have other functions.

perhaps the mb/usb has died.

from dell:
    the Optiplex 740 is a flexible, mainstream business desktop maximized for performance, stability and manageability. And, for the first time ever, Dell will offer an industry-leading 18-month lifecycle with this system.

8. pllobell

pllobell

techgirl - Have you called Dell? They're usually pretty good with their support.

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

Look on the keyboard something like Function Lock . . sometimes that getrs pressed and messes with the keyboard working right

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Rich is "dead-on" look for F-lock and release it. It's a key probably all the way over on the right, top row.

11. pllobell

pllobell

I doubt it's an F-lock:

12. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I was wondering if this keyboard you are using is it the USB keyboard that came with the Dell? If it is not then it probably might never work until the drivers for it are installed. I have a computer down stairs that will not boot without the original keyboard. I think it is something that is programed into the chip(s) in the keyboard.

13. pllobell

pllobell

That could be true ozrom1e. I use an Apple USB keyboard with my computer. If it crashes or I don't shut it off gracefully, it won't boot up unless I hook a PS2 keyboard up to it.

14. springs913

springs913

rjf_techgirl, im havin the exact same problem, have you found a solution?

15. Citrus

Citrus

maybe i can help
    well ...
    try to make unnatend instalation cd
    then when the instalation is done
    you will be at home
    ( i suppose that you know what to do )
    i am right ?
    ( and ofcourse how to do )

regards
    cit

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/574804