1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Pro MSI Installer install/uninstall failures

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by na2439, Dec 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. na2439

na2439 Thread Starter

:) I recently Defraged my hard drive and came up with a few problems after the process was done. My problem was I could not install or uninstall any programs that depended on the MSI installer engine. At the same time I was not able to start up any Anti-virus and Spyware programs I had been using. I found the problem and I'd like to share it with it with everyone. I could not find any solutions on the net so I was stuck till I remembered about the Event Viewer log. Here are the steps I took to find out what the problem was.

1.) I checked the Event Viewer in Admin Tools and it had this error description: Event ID 4689 " The run-time environment has detected an inconsistency in its internal state. This indicates a potential instability in the process that could be caused by the custom components running in the COM+ application, the components they make use of, or other factors. Error in d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\comsvcs\package\cpackage.cpp(1184), hr = 800706ba: InitEventCollector failed" It mentioned something about the COM+ system so I check something else.

2.) I opened up the Component Services in the Admin Tools area. Then I clicked on Component Services -> Computers -> My Computer. I then clicked on COM+ Applications and it opened up fine. I then clicked on DCOM Config and right away it showed a warning message saying that a file fragment was created by the Defrag process and if I would like to restore the fragment. I clicked on YES and a few more warnings popped up with the same message.

After all that was done, I restarted my computer and everything worked fine as before. I hope this info is helpful.

2. Dan O

Dan O

Nice job, and thanks for sharing the tip.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/429685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice