1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Pro Networking Help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dinotreker, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dinotreker

dinotreker Thread Starter

I have never networked computers before. I got into computers late in life and I really like a lot of the things you can do, but some things I just don't understand. I would like to know if any one could help me with a step by step guide to network 2 Dell Windows XP Pro computers via a router/DSLmodem from Verizon. Seems like everything that I read, it says that I need to run Network Wizard from the main XP machine and make a floppy to run the wizard from the other machine. Problem is, these machines don't have floppy drives, or they didn't come with a Windows XP disk. Do I run the Network Wizard from the second machine after I run it from the main machine??? I would also like to share the hard drives from each machine and also share printers. This is all pretty confusing to me. I need someone to explain this to me like I'm 6.

Thanks

Any help would be appreciated

2. michael_jii

michael_jii

3. michael_jii

michael_jii

4. michael_jii

michael_jii

Just to get basic internet, all you have to do it plug the router in, plug the pc's into the router a and they should both have ascess to the internet.Then follow guides above for file sharing.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, if you have two computers that haven't ever been networked, they should connect and immediately be on the Internet connecting to that router. Just plug the cables in. :) File & Print sharing is enabled by default for XP, so all you have to do is share one or more drive or folder by right clicking on it and selecting sharing.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm less confident than John about "File & Print sharing is enabled by default for XP," so just in case, below are a few instructions. You only need a disk for Windows other than XP or Win 2k Pro. In fact, a disk will not run on XP or Win 2k Pro. Following assumes that you have internet through the router on both machines.

Run the Network Setup wizard (found in Control Panel of Win 2k Pro or XP). Tell it each of your computers connects to the internet via "residential gateway" and that you want to enable file and printer sharing. Windows XP firewall will be properly configured by the wizard. You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine. Unique computer names and same workgroup, of course.

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... .

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (20 minutes; even hours) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers, and a few computer restarts.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.

7. JohnWill

Hmm... I just did a clean install of XP-Pro SP2 from a retail CD, and File & Print sharing was enabled when I was done...

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Hmm... I just did a clean install of XP-Pro SP2 from a retail CD, and File & Print sharing was enabled when I was done..."

OK, you've raised my confidence level! I'm just surprised they are delivering the XP firewall with a "hole" already punched in it. Maybe it's not much of a hole with XP Pro not defaulting to Simple File Sharing.

Is the Shared Documents folder defaulted for network sharing?

9. JohnWill

I'd have to install again to remember the exact setup, since I've already customized the setup. :)

10. dinotreker

dinotreker Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for the info. This definitely helped.

Thanks again

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435901

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice