1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Pro - not genuine

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cryptanthus, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cryptanthus

cryptanthus Thread Starter

Recently i installed a new update that made me take a test to see if my copy of windows was genuine or not, and i didn't pass the test, having this message come up:

Now, i know exactly what a VLK key is, i know how they work. I had my computer built for me from a friend of a friend of the family back in 2006 (very shortly after Vista came out), he knows what he's doing as he does technical work for a number of companies.

From the day i had the computer built in 2006 up until yesterday, my computer was perfectly fine and windows recognized it as the genuine copy of XP that it is. When i searched for a resolution to this problem on the Microsoft website all they said was this:

Then basically only gave me one option. To buy a new copy of windows XP for the hefty price of $199.99

The fellow that built my computer does have a volume license agreement with Microsoft, however the last time i spoke to him was four years ago, when i had my computer built, so it's a given that i don't have his contact information any longer.

So, not only am i cheesed that Microsoft suddenly decided my key wasn't any good anymore, but also that the only option they gave me was to pay 200 bucks for a new copy.

I paid for my copy four years ago, i'm not paying them again for something i already have.

So now, because of their brilliant decision, i have a ridiculously annoying watermark stuck in the bottom right corner of my desktop that refuses to go away.

[​IMG]

In lieu of spending 200 dollars on another copy, is there any way to get this watermark to go away? Editing any system files to remove the watermark, manually removing the update that caused the mark to appear? Anything will help.

Note: I'm not asking for any illegal advice. I am not interested in keys, cracks or anything of the sort.

Thanks an endless amount in advance for any help anyone can give.

2. Koot

Koot

Do you have the original Microsoft Windows CD and Product Key that was given to you when the computer was new?

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I highly doubt your friend had a volume license agreement with Microsoft. There are restrictions on volume licenses, and I've never heard of such an agreement allowing for the installation of the OS on computers that are given to other people. That requires an OEM license or reseller agrement. It's far more likely that he used the key from one of the companies he worked for or with.

There's nothing at all you can do to get rid of the watermark. You have an illegal Windows install. Bottom line. You'll have to pay for a legal license. This site will not help with anything else.

4. Koot

Koot

Sadly, you [almost certainly] paid whoever built your computer for a legitimate Windows OS.... ... .. .

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916509

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice