1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows xp pro problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sb199, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sb199

sb199 Thread Starter

I have 2 side by side Dell 600m Inspiron laptops. They each have the same 1024mb ram/ 40gig hd/Pentium M 1.3 chip. Only hardware difference is #1 has XGA + #2 has SXGA video.

#1 was bought WITH Win XP-Pro installed from the getgo. And it is fast + working fine from day 1.

#2 is VERY sluggish, gives me error messages like it does NOT have a USB 2.0 controller in it when I connect a USB 2 periferal, and sometimes when I click on WINDOWS EXPLORER, it hangs + does not show that I even have any drives!

#2 came with Windoes XP HOME installed from Dell. I purchased from Dell an UPGRADE to Win XP Pro + installed it and now msot things on #2 are screwy + querky to say the least.

So...my question is: can I REINSTALL Win XP Pro [from my orginal MS cd disks] some how?

Would/could this let me kinda start afresh with this machine?

If I do this, do I run afowel of MS's license agreement somehow? I thought I heard you cannot install it again as a secuirty/anti-piracy measure from MS?

It would be reinstalling on the SAME machine? If I did this, would I [or do I] call MS to get permission? I am legally licensed!

I could also use the DELL CD's that came with #2 to bring my machine back to it's ORIGINAL state....but that again would be with Win XP Home then. Then I imagine I would then have to re-install my Win XP Pro disks again?

I have tried all the Dell DIAGNOSTICS TESTS on their CD + Norton SYSTEMWORKS TESTS for WINDOCTOR + DISKDOCTOR + everythin passes. I have checked it out [continuously] with NORTON ANTIVIRUS + there appears to be NO [NEVER] viruses. I also use NORTON INTERNET SECURITY [firewall] + check for spyware with SPYBOT SEARCH + DESTROY.

Dell tech support is NO help as they say that since it passes their DIAGNOSTIC TESTS it must be the software!

Thanking anyone in advance,
    Steve

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Reinstalling on the same machine is permitted, and is an accepted activity.
    It would only fail if the hardware had been changed significantly. Then you may need to talk to MS

I have reinstalled several times, it activates fine each time.

3. sb199

sb199 Thread Starter

The only major hardware change I made on the Dell 600m was going from 256mb ram to 1024 mb ram? Is that typically considered a big enough change for MS to not let me re-install on the SAME PC?

Also...is it better for me to use the DELL utility to [in effect] re-create the the machine the way it left the DELL factory [ie. with Win XP HOME] + then reinstall my MS Win XP Pro Upgrade....or can I JUST re-install my Win XP Pro upgrade?

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You need significant hardware changes, RAM probably doesn't even count. On a notebook, you would almost need to replace the motherboard to trigger it.

Re loading XP, your XP Pro is an upgrade, so it will need to "see" a qualifying product. If your Dell recovery disk was recogniised as a qualifying product, all would be well. You just place the "qualifying product" in the CD when its asks for you to show it where it is.

However, the format the files are in on the recovery CD may not be recognised by the Upgrade disk. Its worth a try though. If you had an ME, or 98SE disk it may work as well (if they are "qualifying products".

Otherwise its restoring to XP Home, then upgrading. You do get the option of a clean install though I think, when upgrading. That overwrites the new system onto the HDD, and doesn't just upgrade the old.

Out of interest, why are you "upgrading" to XP Pro? Apart from some added levels of user security, using remote assistance and the ability to connect to corporate networks, the systems are much the same.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I will make a guess about the usb 2.0. XP does not support usb 2.0 until sp1 or sp1a is installed. Does your upgrade disk have sp1 intergrated or have you installed it?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171527

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice