1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Pro SP3 login loop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by killerz298, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. killerz298

killerz298 Thread Starter

So I was cleaning out my box last night and realized I had 2 extra drives screwed into the case that weren't hooked up. I had forgotten what was on them and wanted to find out so I hooked them up with my current boot drive and told bios to boot from my current drive (as it turns out one of the drives was my OLD boot drive which had the same drive letter c: and drive name as my current drive.) Windows booted normally and I saw my custom login screen. I entered my password and then all hell broke loose. It showed the wallpaper I had from the windows install on the old drive but that’s all it showed. Windows just hung there so I shutdown, disconnected the 2 additional drives and restarted. Windows booted fine however it didn't load my custom login screen. It loaded a standard windows login box and had my name in it. I entered the password and it said loading personal settings but then immediately logged me out without loading my desktop. I tried to login with the admin account and it did the same thing. I tried to boot in safe mode and when it asked me to login it did the same thing. I don't think windows restore was functioning either.

Having 2 drives at the same time with the letter c: and the same disk name must have corrupted something with my current drive. However, windows shouldn’t allow 2 drives to have the same letter so I don’t know how this could have happened. It seemed like it tried to load the profile from my old install on the old drive (at least the wallpaper indicated that.) I have no idea where to even begin. Is there any way to fix this issue?

2. plus2plus

plus2plus

Tell about your xp pro, was it a full retail version or oem. If oem was it what you were using before replacing the motherboard? If so, you need a new copy. OEM operating systems cannot be transfer between motherboards.

3. killerz298

I believe winxp on both drives was full version pro. The current drive was running SP3 with the latest updates. I am not sure how old the older drive was using.

4. killerz298

So I did a repair install but it installed my os to E: instead of C: (which I assume was the problem in the first place) and now the computer boots but it is ALL messed up as all the apps still think the OS is installed at C: I guess a full reinstall is in my future... I am trying one last ditch effort to change the boot letter to C: and if that doesn't work I give up!

5. killerz298

I changed the boot drive to c: using partition magic drivemapper and change drive letter but when the computer restarted I had the same login loop as I had before I repaired. I tried to do another repair install now that the drive is being read as c: but windows refuses to complete the install. It get up to 23 mins remaining every time and just hangs. Thanks for the help but it just isn't worth any additional time messing around with this. I already backed up all my personal data (but I actually keep it on a different partition on the drive anyway just to make reinstalls easier.) I knew I would pay the price for system restore not working eventually. I don't know what was wrong with it but all my attempts to start it the last time I had issues failed. I really needed a clean reinstall anyway as it has been a LONG time since the last time I did one and the system was showing it.

6. plus2plus

plus2plus

Do system restore. May be your problem solved, otherwise you reinstall OS.

7. killerz298

I gave up and reinstalled windows.... oh well

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920585

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice