Windows XP Pro VS Windows XP Pro x64

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Big-E

I am curious as too what the codeing differences are, obviously the codeing takes advantages of the processor, but what does this enable a user to do better? Browse? Multitask? More stability? I am not an expert in OS programming, infact I only know python and java so I wouldn't be good at much of anything to do with an OS in the form of programming, but what are the major differences?

Ok in basics:
1.It will run alot faster
2.Programs that are coded in 64-bit will execute faster
3.No I think that 32-bit is much more stable, hence microsoft has had years to monitor it and work out the bugs, and security holes, and give you guys updates to fix such problems. Windows X64 by microsoft which I love, has not been taken over much by End-Users and they need time for more testing to be done.
Contrast.
1. Not many programmers have made there coding engines in 64-Bit.
2. There is compatibility issues with many 32-bit programs (so they won't work on that OS), this will probably be fixed as microsoft and programmers begin testing more 32-bit software on 64-bit OS and fixing the problems.
3. It could be quite some time before programmers switch over to 64-bit architecture.

Worth It?
Not at this time. When, you ask? When most the software is 64-bit and there is a OS that runs 32 and 64-bit programs without trouble. For now I would stick with Pentium 4 w/ hyperthreading w/ 533/800mhz socket 775 w/ a 1-2mb cache proccesor and windows XP SP2 for sure.

Jh3si

Big-E

jh3si said:
Ok in basics:
1.It will run alot faster
2.Programs that are coded in 64-bit will execute faster
3.No I think that 32-bit is much more stable, hence microsoft has had years to monitor it and work out the bugs, and security holes, and give you guys updates to fix such problems. Windows X64 by microsoft which I love, has not been taken over much by End-Users and they need time for more testing to be done.
Contrast.
1. Not many programmers have made there coding engines in 64-Bit.
2. There is compatibility issues with many 32-bit programs (so they won't work on that OS), this will probably be fixed as microsoft and programmers begin testing more 32-bit software on 64-bit OS and fixing the problems.
3. It could be quite some time before programmers switch over to 64-bit architecture.

Worth It?
Not at this time. When, you ask? When most the software is 64-bit and there is a OS that runs 32 and 64-bit programs without trouble. For now I would stick with Pentium 4 w/ hyperthreading w/ 533/800mhz socket 775 w/ a 1-2mb cache proccesor and windows XP SP2 for sure.

Jh3si
What do you know, you're just a Junior Member! haha all kidding aside, thanks for the info, I was planning on getting a 64bit processor, maybe a 3500+ but maybe now I will wait it out a bit.

lol, yes I'm just a poor junior member.
But I want to add that a 3500 is a 2.5 proccesor I belive if you read the fine print

Jh3si *Crawls back in hole

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online