Windows XP Pro x64 - Wireless

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SexyElf

Hello all,

I'd appreciate any advice that could help me solve this problem.

I recently got a Turion x64 dual 1.6ghz from HP. Ofcourse, HP installed Vista onto the machine and I did not really like the feel of vista (compared to win xp). So I formatted and a friend gave me his copy of win xp pro 64 (I have the 32 bit pro version, but wanted to atleast use the 64-bit processing power).

Everything formatted/installed fine and I started playing around in win xp pro 64, setting up new accounts, reinstalling programs, etc.

Well, here is where the problems seem to start. My friend told me that some apps might not run on the 64 version and that I should also be aware that my wireless card might not work in 64. But he advised that apparently Intel released drivers that allow intel wireless cards to work on 64. (I'm not sure if my wireless is intel or not)

So with this in mind, I was trying to setup a wireless connection to my existing network (the network is not the problem as all my other computers/laptops work via wireless). I used xp's wireless wizard, which basically setup my network and asked me to restart my computer. I checked to see if there was any wireless icons in my networks folder and I only see the adapter for the firewire and nothing else. No lan adapter, no wireless adapter, etc.

Things were looking a little suspicious so I checked the computer specs (receipt) to make sure a lan and wireless were in this new laptop. It says they are included. So I looked in device manager to see if I could locate a problem, and low and behold, a bunch of devices are missing drivers. One of them is the network adapter??? There are some suspicious devices missing drivers, such as one called coprocessor?

Basically, I cannot get a wan or wireless network connection to my router and 64 doesn't seem to detect my wireless or wan cards. I suspect that I should connect to windows update to search for the missing drivers - but this is impossible if it doesn't detect any of the internet connection devices in the first place.

I am thinking of using a USB wireless device that I have to see if I can get a connection through that. And then connect to windows update and get any missing drivers.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what I can do?

Thank you,
SexyElf

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online