1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Problem: Doesn't allow me to access/delete folder

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by HalleluYAH, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HalleluYAH

HalleluYAH Thread Starter

I just bought a used computer (which is installed with Windows XP Pro). I've set up an Administrator account on that computer, but it will not allow me to delete a certain folder, which used to belong to the previous owner of the computer.

The folder is an old user-account folder (it belonged to the previous owner of my computer).

Please tell me how to delete the folder. So far, I've done the following things to delete it:
    1. Right-clicked the folder, and selected: "Delete"
    2. Right-clicked on the folder, selected: "Properties", and changed the "Security Settings" and modified the "Owner" privileges.
    3. Used File Shredder and tried to delete the folder with that program.

In return, I got error-messages like this: "Some files are being used by another user" or "Unable to delete file or folder....Cyclic redundancy check"

Basically whenever I tried to delete that folder I got messages that indicated that the files within that folder were being used via that other user-account.

Please tell me step-by-step what I should to to delete that folder (should I start over, and reformat the computer HD?).

I do not have an Windows XP Pro "Restore Disk".

Thanks for your time & patience. I'd appreciate any good advice (instructions) from any of you.

2. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

boot pc in safe mode and try again make sure your are the administrator..

3. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

hold down F8 key on starting the machine till the safe mode menu shows.

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

"I've set up an Administrator account on that computer"
    Did you create a User named Administrator, or create a User Account that is a Computer Administrator? (aka Member of the Administrators group)?

When you say "modified the "Owner" privileges.", did you actually take ownership of the folder?
    How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

Have you tried booting to safe mode, then deleting?

Try using the User Profiles tool to delete the profile
    Right click My Computer
    Click Properties
    Click the Advanced tab
    Click the Settings button under User Profiles
    If the folder is listed, highlight it and click Delete

"Cyclic redundancy check" -- This could be a disk error problem. Try running chkdsk
    Double click My Computer
    Right click the C: drive and click Properties
    Click the Tools tab
    Under Error checking, click Check Now...
    Under Check Disk Options, check both boxes, then click Start
    you get a message that exclusive access is needed, and it'll ask if you want to schedule a check. Click Yes

Close all windows and reboot, and let the disk check run -- this could take several hours.

HTH

Jerry

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754045

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice