1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by reinecke, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. reinecke

reinecke Thread Starter

Hi guys,

My Dad has a Medion MIM2120 laptop with Windows XP SP2. Recently, he went to start up his computer and it wouldn't start up at all. I tried to start up in safe mode, using the last save configuration, everything, but nothing worked. I ended up doing a complete clean reinstall.

After I'd finished reinstalling Windows everything looked a little unfamiliar. For instance, the screen looks kind of squashed, and when I drag a window around the screen the scrolling for that window is kind of jerky if you understand. I've tried changing resolution settings, but the screen is still left looking slighty squashed.

So, with the Medion laptop there's another disk for some drivers, I didn't install these - should I install everything on this disk? There is a folder on this disk called "Driver" and it's contents are other folders which are entitled:

Audio
    Chipset
    LAN
    Modem
    Touchpad
    VGA
    WLAN

Thing is, there's another folder named "Parts" and it has more WLAN drivers in it. I'm not sure if I should install these or the ones in the "Drivers" folder, as named above. I'm guessinng I should use the ones in the "Drivers" folder, but not 100% so I came here for advice.

Do you think that if I install the VGA drivers, my problems with the squashed screen thing will be solved?

Sorry if my questions are ignorant - I'm a Mac user and the last version of Windows I used was Windows '95.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me.

Reinecke.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yes you need the drivers

PUT the cd in the drive
    goto device manager and you will see items there with yellow ?

click on those and you should see the option to install driver
    then point at the CD
    it should find the driver it needs

repeat untill all yellow ? are gone

you will probably need to instal all you have listed

3. reinecke

reinecke Thread Starter

Yes, I did see some that were in yellow. I will install the drivers and hopefully my problem will be solved - I should install these from the "Driver" folder on the CD, right?

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I will report back over the weekend, which is when I'm going to my Dad's place again.

Regards,

Reinecke.

4. reinecke

reinecke Thread Starter

Just to let you know that I installed the software on the cd using the way in which you described and it solved all the problems. The PCI is still coming up as yellow but I guess that this doesn't really have any great effect on the computer - my Dad uses it mostly for internet.

Thanks again.

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    there should be a driver on the PC for it - nothing should have any yellow ! against them if they have all the drivers

you may be able to detect what the hardware is from going to the website and seeing the spec and all the hardware and drivers online

it could be a dialup modem driver

one of these may help - but usually they need the drivers to identify the hardware - but give it a try
    online scan
    http://www.d-a-l.com/hardware-scan.php

Great standalone program with pdf and email output
    http://www.pxserver.com/WinAudit.htm

6. reinecke

reinecke Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, ETAF. I will try those sites tomorrow.

R

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538361

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice