1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Xp Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Princess86, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Princess86

Princess86 Thread Starter

Hey everyone... I got a Windows\root\system32.hal.dll is missing or corrept.. I've tried to use safe mode but it won't let me access my desktop no matter what i try... I've tried to use my Window Xp Cd but it can't find a way to boot from the cd to do a restore that way.. I know there is a way i can boot from Cd but i'm not familiar enough with Windows Xp so i wouldn't know how to go about doing it.. If anyone has any suggestions let me know please...

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Hi and welcome

You need to change the boot order in the BIOS. When you turn your computer on, it usually indicates a button to push to enter the BIOS (or it may say Setup) such as F2 or Del.

3. Princess86

Ok i got into the BIOS went down to the Boot sequence.. Options there were IDE CD-Rom device , Diskette Devise, Hard Drive C: .. When i first opened the boot sequence they were all checked off.. I unchecked Diskette drive and Hard drive C.. And moved IDE Cd Rom device to the top of the list saved changes.. It restarted itself and brought up a page saying stike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility.. when i hit F1 it just brings up the same message further down the same page.. I hit F2 and it brings be back to the BIOS.. Not sure where to go from here any ideas???

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Make and model of PC?

Are you sure the cdrom is in working order? Does it even spin in an attempt to read the XP cd?

I would re check the hard drive C, put it as second in the order.

If you can get it to boot from the XP CD, run a checkdisk first off, this repairs about 85% of that type of error message.

See this guide on how to do it
    http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=5097

5. Princess86

Dell demension 1100 intel celeron D.. Yes the cdrom is working i can hear it spinning inside and ive checked it in my other machine and it works... I've re checked the Hard Drive c and put as second in the order.. but when it boots it tell me that there is a invalid boot INI file.. booting from windows c: then shows up the same windows root system32\hal.dll is missing or correpted...

6. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

7. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Be sure that CDROM is jumpered Cable Select (CS) Dell PCs require this for proper operation.

I advise you run a chkdsk before anything else or matters may get worse.

8. Princess86

How do i know if the CDROM is jumpered cable select??? I can't run a chkdsk because for some reason i can't get the cd to boot..

9. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

You will need to remove it from the PC and look at the back end of it, you need Cable Select or sometimes it is just labeled CS.

CDROM = the optical drive you put the XP cd in.

[​IMG]

10. Princess86

I have nothing that even looks anything like that on the back on this model i have..

11. blues_harp28

Now that the Cd is set to 1st in the boot order - what happens when you put the Cd in the drive and restart your Pc?

12. Princess86

nothing changed...

13. Princess86

Sorry Mumbodog.. Now that i looked closer at the back of the Cd Rom drive i seen the what is shown here in the pic... But there is a green cover over the cable select pins... is that a good thing or bad??

14. blues_harp28

That is Good and set for cable select.
    Has the Cd rom drive worked in the past - did you make any changes to it - the drivers may be corrupt and Windows is not recognizing it?

Can you try another Cd drive - it too may need drivers to run correctly but it may work?

15. Princess86

That's what i was thinking because to get the cd rom to open for a cd you sometimes need to hit the top of the tower to get it to open... I'm thinking it might not be spinning fast enough for the eye or the eye can't extend as far as it needs to in order to read the disc the way i should... Im scared i would need to install a few drivers for it to even be regonized... But it's well worth a try...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice