1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows xp professional upgrade gets stuck on reboot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mroldies, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mroldies

mroldies Thread Starter

When i reinstall Windows XP and then upgrade it to Professional and enter my key code every thing is fine until the last reboot and then gets stuck on the start up screen and says please wait and nothing happens at all. It seems like it is going to finish starting up but doesnt. I have to hold down the power button for five seconds to shut it down. Can you please help me?

2. gyclone

gyclone

Depending upon the speed of your machine, those automatic reboot cycles can take an extremely long time. Have you done it and then just walked away and left it for an hour or two, or are you giving up after a few minutes?

3. mroldies

mroldies Thread Starter

I let it do its thing all night and when I woke up it still was doing it.

4. gyclone

gyclone

mroldies,

So sorry it's taken so long to get back to you! It has been a very hectic day and I needed to find some good information to pass your way that wouldn't require me to spend 2 hrs typing instructions. You need to either boot in "Safe Mode" or "Last Known Good Configuration". What appear to be some very good instructions for both are available here: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm.

*****EDIT*******
    Read Post #'s 5 & 6, below, before proceeding with next instructions. The information in this post is not be entirely appropriate for the case at hand.
    *****End EDIT****

If you can successfully get the computer into one of those two modes, you should be able, hopefully, to roll-back the update that is hanging up. Then, you should be able to restart normally and you can retry the update process, if you wish. If you were installing multiple updates when this occurred, I strongly recommend that you re-install the updates one at a time, in the order they are listed on the update page, restarting after each one, whether the update requires it or not. Hopefully, this way, you won't have any problems, but at least you will know for sure which update is causing the problem if it happens again. Then you can just skip that update.

Once you are in Safe Mode or Last Known Good Configuration, go to Start -> Control Panel -> Add Remove Programs. Make sure the "Show Updates" checkbox is checked. Sort by "Date Last Used" and you will be able to see the dates the updates were installed. Uninstall all updates from the day in question. Alternatively, you could roll-off one update at a time and restart after each one in hope that you might catch the troublemaker early and save some work. Personally, though, I'd remove it all and start over.

Let me know how it goes. Good luck!

5. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

According to what the poster writes, the problem occurs just at the last reboot after Upgrading XP to XP Pro. There was no mention of Updates.

6. gyclone

gyclone

Good catch, thanks! This is what happens when I'm working with too many different issues at once.

There is a chance that the Upgrade will show in the Add Remove Dialogs window. I do not see any sign of an Upgrade in my list, but I honestly cannot remember whether I upgraded my current machine to Pro or whether it was on it when I got it, nor can I tell for sure from any system info I've been able to find. I highly doubt I would have performed an Upgrade over a clean install, though.

Anyway, to the point, it might still be worth a shot.

First, however, I would try to reboot and see if when the machine first powers on, you are given the opportunity to select between your previous version of Windows and XP Pro. If so, I would try logging into the previous version. If that works, you can try to uninstall the Upgrade, or to just run it again.

If none of that works and you still have your old Windows install disc, you could try to boot from it to do a Repair Installation.

The next time you're able to get in by any method, I'd back up your data, drivers, system settings, etc., just in case this problem escalates.

I'm very sorry for the confusion!

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

How old is the hard drive and what brand?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975488

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice