1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Professional

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tysonb, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tysonb

tysonb Thread Starter

I just recently installed Windows XP professional on my PC, and I have not been able to maintain an internet connection via my cable modem for greater than 20 minutes. ONce I have been on the internet for 20 minutes, i am logged off my aol, and a message says that the DNS server is unavailable. Also, if I try to log on again I cannot, and I receive the same message about the DNS server. If I wait approx 8 hours, the cable signal returns, and I am able to log on to the internet for another 20 minutes before the cycle repeats.
    Do you know If Windows XP Professional causes the cable signal to the cable modem to fail. Please help me.
    Tyson

2. southernlady

southernlady

Who is your cable provider and why are you using aol as well? You do realize you are paying for TWO ISP's? Let's see if we can sort this out because you really don't need to be paying for both. Liz

3. tysonb

tysonb Thread Starter

My cable provider is Time Warner and I receive my cable modem through them. I have AOL for broadband service because I like the features, and I have younger family members that I communicate with on a daily basis via AOL buddy list. I also did not want to change my email.

4. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Sounds as if your signal level is marginal. Make sure it is not on multiple splitters.

Call TWC and get them to check the signal levels.

XP does not cause this, rather XP handles drops very nicely, can't say the same about AOHell,

5. southernlady

southernlady

I use AIM all the time...as for paying the extra just for an email, if that's what you want to do, so be it. But I suspect that is where your problem is.

However, call the cable company and get them to check that end of it first. Make sure there is nothing wrong with the cable signal.

Do you have SP2 on your XP? That may be causing issues as well? Liz

6. tysonb

tysonb Thread Starter

No,
    I do not have SP2 on my package, however, I do have 2 cable splitters on board. Mybe that is a problem. I spoke with a rep from time warner and she said that the signal that they are sending is OK. I am a little perplexed, because I had the cable modem for about a year, and I never encountered this problem. The only new issue is that I installed windows xp professional. Is it a coincidence or is this a consequence?

7. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

They need to check the signal at the PC, make sure the PC is on the first split.

8. southernlady

southernlady

Coincidence, most likely...that and you need to probably talk to AOL as well about how to reconfigure it with XP. Liz

9. tysonb

tysonb Thread Starter

The technician is coming to my home on monday to check out my problem.
    What am I supposed to ask AOL to reconfigure with XP. I have told them that I just recently installed windows xp from windows millenium. They have all assured me that it should not be a problem. Where do I go from here?

10. southernlady

southernlady

Well, have you noticed something...you've been online an hour now. Liz

11. tysonb

tysonb Thread Starter

Oh, I'm not at home, I'm at work.

12. tysonb

tysonb Thread Starter

however, that was a very good observation. And I appreciate your help. I have been quite frustrated. When you contact some of the technical support staff, it seems as though they are running through their scripted protocol, and if you say something that's not on their decision tree, then they always transfer you to someone else. At least with you guys, you are helping me to resolve my problem without a script. It eases some of my anxiety.

13. southernlady

southernlady

tysonb, try this, and I know you prefer aol...but do this JUST to see what happens, ok?

When you get home, uninstall AOL and try running xp without it online for awhile. See what happens. Just test it. If it runs longer than the 20 mins, then you know there is a conflict between the two and you will have to decide what to do, whether or not to keep XP or not, ok?

If it doesn't make a difference, then it's not a conflict between the two and you haven't lost anything but a bit of time in reinstalling your aol. Liz

14. tysonb

tysonb Thread Starter

Thanks southernlady, I will give it a try this evening. Thanks so much for your help. One question: how is it that you are a southern lady who lives in michigan?

15. southernlady

southernlady

Cause I grew up in the south and plan on living there again as soon as I can. I'm a GRITS! :p (Girl Raised In The South)

Let me know what happens, ok? Liz

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice