1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Professional

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by birddl, Nov 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. birddl

birddl Thread Starter

I have upgraded to windows xp and I am unable to see my network connections when I click on my computer and look at the network drives section. I am connected to the network though. Any suggestions?

2. Rockn

Rockn

Network shares will not show up until you either map them manually or they are mapped from a login script. Try the Net use staement in a DOS window.

3. angel

angel

Actually, you can install Netbeui and they will appear. Although Microsoft doesn't technically support it anymore, it is included on your XP cd at \VALUEADD\MSFT\NET\NETBEUI along with a readme file.

4. Del

Del

Angel is right. I have 3 machines on a network and installed netbeui and can communicate fine. Just have to follow Angel's advise.
    Del

5. birddl

birddl Thread Starter

The only problem is after I copied the files from the CD, the readme file tells me to use the install button in network connections but when I open network connections it is blank, I can't see an install button

6. angel

angel

Right-click on your LAN connection and choose Properties.

7. birddl

birddl Thread Starter

that is the problem...when you right click on it there is nothing there....the entire box is empty, lan connections does not show up

8. Del

Del

Try going to Start> Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections then Click on Network Connections.
    You should see your LAN connections in there unless the operating system isn't recognizing your Ethernet adapter.
    Del

9. birddl

birddl Thread Starter

thanks, that worked.

10. angel

angel

Good to hear!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60031

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice