1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP randomly kills the explorer process...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by chaos4001, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chaos4001

chaos4001 Thread Starter

On this computer, some times, when I open a folder (usually a folder with a lot of data, like more than a gig, but sometimes with small folders too) the computer kills the explorer process. All my windows disappear, and I can only see the background. I used to just shut moff my computer, but now if it happens I just ctrl+alt+del and use run to start the explorer process again. That works for a while, but sooner or later it'll just crash that process again.

Another thing it'll do sometimes is to give me this "data execution prevention" thing, and then tell me that the explorer process isn't responding and then that the drwatson postmortem debugger needs to close. This also used to require shutoff, but I figured out that I can end the explorer and the drwatson32 processes manually from the ctrl+alt+del thing and that solves the problem without shutting down.

XP also seems to have a problem with Firefox - most times when I use firefox it'll kill the explorer process. The problem here is that it'll keep trying to reopen explorer. explorer will come back, then kill itself again, causing lag and irritation while I try to web surf.

So does anyone have any clue what might cause all this? Because it really sucks.

2. L0gic

L0gic

This may seem like a stupid question, have you ran any anti-virus to see if you have a virus? I have heard of this happening before and it being caused by a virus called W32.USBWorm, but I could be wrong.

3. chaos4001

chaos4001 Thread Starter

A friend of mine gave me this computer. When I got it, I ran AVG and Ad-Aware. Up till the last few weeks, it wasn;t connected to the internet. This problem started happening before this computer had the internet. However, it couldn't hurt to check. Got a good antinirus recommendation? This computer hasnt had one installed yet.

4. L0gic

L0gic

It's possible that the computer received a virus when in it was used by the previous owner, unless there was a clean install of the o/s before they gave it to you.

AVG Free Edition
    http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/

Avast Home Free (I love this one)
    http://www.download.com/Avast-Home-Edition/3000-2239_4-10019223.html

let me know how it goes, hopefully this works. If not, we will work together to find another solution

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703054

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice